Remove this ad

Lead

May 28 17 8:10 PM

Tags : :

The Soviet Union and Eastern Bloc countries are commonly known to have sent full time athletes disguised as amateurs to amateur only events by calling them military teams in several sports such as basketball and ice hockey. Does anyone know if this was true for countries like Cuba, Angola, West Congo, North Korea, China and other so called communist countries as well?
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

May 28 17 8:42 PM

I'm not sure who was and wasn't a full time athlete, but some countries have certainly used Military or University Selection as labels of convenience in the past. On the other hand, there are some countries for which the national team was drawn almost entirely from the military e.g. South Vietnam, Cambodia, Iraq.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

May 29 17 6:23 AM

nfm24 wrote:
I'm not sure who was and wasn't a full time athlete, but some countries have certainly used Military or University Selection as labels of convenience in the past. On the other hand, there are some countries for which the national team was drawn almost entirely from the military e.g. South Vietnam, Cambodia, Iraq.

I never looked at it that way, I suppose using university players would be considered cheating in a truly amateur competition? Especially if they were receiving any type of government funding for their schooling. Interesting about the other countries, would be interesting to know more about this matter.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

May 30 17 7:41 AM

Part of the convenience was that in the past FIFA absolved itself of responsibility for international football at military and university level (and also at other bespoke levels, e.g. stuff like the Maccabi Games) - FIFA's view was that these tournaments were outside of their jurisdiction.

During their apartheid FIFA ban, South Africa used this as a way to play against visiting teams from FIFA members, by describing them as University Selections etc.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help