Remove this ad

Lead

Jun 4 17 3:58 PM

Tags : :

So it's about a month old but just noticed this article... let's play a game of spot the spoiler smiley: wink...
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#2 [url]

Jun 5 17 11:29 PM

Tuvalu or Kiribati would make most sense, as no team from Oceania has ever played in a "non-FIFA" tournament.  Plus they're "safe" in that there should be no visa issues, as both are independent countries, unlike the other 3, who I would expect would have problems.  We've also seen the other 3 teams before at various tournaments. While Darfur is a good cause, I'm not sure the best way to promote their cause is to field a team who get hammered 15-0 in every match.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jun 6 17 1:31 PM

TheRoonBa wrote:
no team from Oceania has ever played in a "non-FIFA" tournament.
This depends on how you regard the early editions of the South Pacific Games.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jun 6 17 4:41 PM

TheRoonBa wrote:
Plus they're "safe" in that there should be no visa issues
Whether or not any of you played my game there, the leak (if correct) does raise the question of logistics, will the UK government be more welcoming or less than previous hosts to the more 'controversial' ConIFA teams?

They apparently advised Ellan Vannin to not travel to Abkhazia (although that seemed to be more of a "you're on your own if something happens" message than outright banning, as Panjab, Chagos, and Somaliland did all go), so will they have restrictions coming in the other direction? If it was up to me I'd be fine with whoever coming to play the tournament, but the foreign secretary's views on this (if he's still in the job by then) I'm presuming will be as unpredictable as his vocabulary...

Last Edited By: mattsanger92 Jun 6 17 5:10 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jun 6 17 6:14 PM

I did see the part about the 2018 event being in London (I assume this is what you referred to as the spoiler), but I assumed the absence of any proper announcement of this on the ConIFA website was simply indicative of a general lack of any news such as major/minor announcements on their website... It seems they prefer instead to work such that 99% is done via Twitter and Facebook and only a token 1% on their website. In my personal view this is more akin to the operations of a school sports club run by a few geeks than the operations of an international organization with a consitution and proper protocol.

I always harp on about the website, but it is surely worth doing properly and should be negligibly more effort than so-called "social media". Having an outdated website with inconsistent or redundant pages is counterproductive. Having separate websites for the championship and the confederation is unnecessary extra complication. Or why not just remove the website altogether and auto-forward all traffic directly to Twitter and Facebook, if that is the only source of info?

As an example, ConIFA is currenly holding a tournament which is not even on its own calendar: http://www.conifa.org/en/calendar/

Anyway, I guess you are now suggesting that "2018 in London" has not been announced or mentioned on ConIFA's Twitter or Facebook either. I haven't checked, but I would find that surprising since they have historically blurted out any such hosting announcements early doors. Hopefully they got permission from the (English) FA to hold it.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jun 6 17 6:52 PM

nfm24 wrote:
I did see the part about the 2018 event being in London (I assume this is what you referred to as the spoiler), but I assumed the absence of any proper announcement of this on the ConIFA website was simply indicative of a general lack of any news such as major/minor announcements on their website...

Anyway, I guess you are now suggesting that "2018 in London" has not been announced or mentioned on ConIFA's Twitter or Facebook either. I haven't checked, but I would find that surprising since they have historically blurted out any such hosting announcements early doors. Hopefully they got permission from the (English) FA to hold it.

Nope, just took the liberty of googling it to be sure and there doesn't seem to be any other mentions of it. What did come up though was this tweet from Mr Blind, and this older story from the Panjab FA. Which would tie in well with the 'getting permission' part of things considering they're on good terms with The FA...

Other news of note that was found in that search - ConIFA's next AGM is in Marrakesh.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Jun 7 17 8:22 PM

I think that just reemphasizes the point I made above, which is the same point I consistently made since ConIFA came into existence.

Put the fecking news on the fecking website. And make proper announcements.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#13 [url]

nfm24 wrote:
Put the fecking news on the fecking website. And make proper announcements.
That's exactly what we are doing, whenever we do have something to announce!
We did decide on a full qualification scheme and 8 of the teams participating in the next World Football Cup are known by now. However, you might respect that we first communicate that to those teams and, even though less fun, to the teams who didn't qualify yet. At the end of this week the full qualification scheme and the resulting current standings for 2018 will then be published, of course. But again, obviously not before the teams know.
Being all volunteers, I also think that a week between deciding the qualification scheme (orally) and sending out a formal full document to all teams in a personal message is not outrageous long.

To the more general criticism here:
- We do have tournament homepages, as those are not managed by us, but by the host. Such hosts want their own homepage for language reasons alone and I think they are doing a great job updating those bilingually constantly during tournaments. With limited internet access and "sit down times" we could surely not update the homepage that often during a tournament, especially as it is not "so easy" as you think.
- All "important" info is put on the homepage: New members, new announcement, etc. This way, the homepage stays "neat" and provides a good overview for first-time visitors. And that should be it's purpose, indeed.
- Social Media, especially Twitter, is used for "short-interest" information, like live match updates, etc. Most of the Social Media content, however, is either shared content from the homepage or only of interest for a relative short time (like a new picture from a member, etc).

Where I completely agree, is the fact that the calendar is not maintained properly. I will raise that topic with our web admin.

Finally, the discussion about the host: Again, we will announce something when there is something to announce. Like Real Madrid does not do any announcement on Ronaldo's future, just because there are rumors about it, we will not make an announcement about eventual hosting rumors re 2018. In the particular case of hosting a tournament you surely understand that such an announcement has to be coordinated with various stakeholders (the host, potentially sponsors, etc) and shouldn't be made premature. We learned our lesson from 2015 ;)

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

> Finally, the discussion about the host: Again, we will announce something when there is something to announce. Like Real Madrid does not do any announcement on Ronaldo's future, just because there are rumors about it, we will not make an announcement about eventual hosting rumors re 2018.

Rumours?!  The spoiler which Matt pointed out is posted on *your own website*.  You are making your own problems.

(article 9-May-2017) : "at the 2018 CONIFA World Cup to be held in London."

If you want to maintain a pretence of secrecy, I advise you to edit or delete that article immediately (regardless of whether it is true or not).

Your analogy about Ronaldo works only if Real Madrid posted (on its own official website) an article including the phrase "Cristiano Ronaldo, who will be playing for Guangzhou next season".
  (there may also be a joke about tax dodging to be made here, but let's not digress)

You can't have it both ways.  You can't say that we have to disregard the few pieces of info that are available on the ConIFA website as "rumours", but we also must not complain about a lack of concrete news.  

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help