Remove this ad

Lead

Jun 10 17 9:45 PM

Tags : :

Leigh Griffiths's two free-kicks vs England today at 87' and 90' reminded me of Zidane's last-minute demolition of England in 2004.   Admittedly scoring from 25 yards vs Joe Hart is hardly a major feat and could probably be achieved by most small children, but anyway, can anybody recall similar late double-set-piece-based turn arounds?

Zidane 2004:  
may be found by clicking thuswards.

NB: I have set the video to begin slightly earlier than strictly necessary for the analogy, just for my own personal enjoyment, to cheer me up a little following Kane's shitty equaliser.

Last Edited By: nfm24 Jun 14 17 11:21 PM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jun 14 17 12:59 PM

For some reason there's a mass of whitespace where a video should be...

But what do you mean about that equaliser, class finish made to look less impressive by the Toblerone defending. But yes for some reason the Griffiths free-kicks did have an ominous air about it, as he put the first one down I was thinking about how it was a similar position to where Bale scored last year.

Then the second was just sods law... absolute joke of a foul to concede in the first place. Didn't help either that Hart had the reaction speed of Theresa May:

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jun 14 17 11:26 PM

Once again she has miscalculated her own gravitas. Or something. Also why were the crowd celebrating an injured French defender? I found it odd how England naively played tactically into the French hands for most of the first 70 minutes, then brought Lallana on and somehow made it worse. Possibly Joe Hart's negative vibes were casting a spell over the whole team.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jun 15 17 7:27 AM

nfm24 wrote:
Once again she has miscalculated her own gravitas. Or something. Also why were the crowd celebrating an injured French defender?
I wouldn't read too much into it (the injured player part), Mexican Waves happen all the time when there's a lull in the atmosphere, although I don't think I've ever seen one at club level...

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jun 15 17 7:50 AM

As for that Euro 2004 video, I'm more concerned at why Martin Tyler's doing the commentary. Obviously UEFA used him for their central media rights or something, but my personal experience of major tournaments has always been to the backdrop of a Tyldsley, Motson, Pearce, Drury, or those guys off Eurosport who I can never remember the names of...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#5 [url]

Perhaps Leigh Griffiths should have imitated Zidane a bit more realistically and head-butted Kane in the stomach before he could score his equaliser. I blame Kane for not trash-talking Griffiths' family members.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

nfm24 wrote:
 but anyway, can anybody recall similar late double-set-piece-based turn arounds?

Zidane 2004:  
may be found by clicking thuswards.
I recall a very similar, even if not identical, episode, because I was at San Siro that afternoon (it was my second appearance there as an Inter fan). August 31, 1997, the same day Princess Diana died. The game was Inter 2-1 Brescia. Brescia were leading 0-1. Luckily for us, in the second half, the Uruguayan talent Álvaro Recoba entered. Between 80' and 85' he scored two goals this way:

I still remember the San Siro's shout!

TheRoonBa wrote:
 I blame Kane for not trash-talking Griffiths' family members.
If he needed some lessons, a couple of Italian defenders of the 1990s and 2000s would be keen to teach him how to do...smiley: roll

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#8 [url]

mattsanger92 wrote:
TheRoonBa wrote:
I blame Kane for not trash-talking Griffiths' family members.
To rehash a tired and kind of unfair joke, Kane needs that mouth for breathing...
Yeah - I think the after dinner speaker option is off the cards for his retirement years...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help