Remove this ad

Lead

Jul 20 07 11:29 AM

Tags : :

Tahiti will be preparing for the Men`s South Pacific Games at home on Tahiti.

They will be playing 5 friendly matches. They will meet New Caledonian players who live on Tahiti. They will also play against the National team of Moorea , which is part of French Polynesia.

Could somebody explain this for me ? Tahiti is a member of FIFA but only a part of French Polynesia . Tahiti got about 70 % of the population of whole French Polynesia . Players from the other islands cant play on Tahiti NT ?

Moorea island got a national team , that`s news ?
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#3 [url]

Jul 21 07 6:25 AM

in Roon Ba archive,
before 1970, they were French Polynesia,
now they are Tahiti in name,
can someone explain this?

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/results/

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#4 [url]

Jul 21 07 10:41 AM

Tanaka wrote:
even in Taiwan,
non-Taipei players can play for Chinese Taipei

"Chinese Taipei" is just the name FIFA use to avoid conflict with China. Everyone in Taiwan calls the island Taiwan. Taipei is only the capital city of Taiwan, so of course people from other cities in Taiwan can play for the national team, this is natural - it is the same for every country.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#5 [url]

Jul 21 07 10:42 AM

Tanaka wrote:
in Roon Ba archive,
before 1970, they were French Polynesia,
now they are Tahiti in name,
can someone explain this?

The FA decided to change the name of the team. Tahiti sounds much better than French Polynesia I guess, and more people have heard of it - it is a better name to use internationally.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#6 [url]

Jul 21 07 10:45 AM

Re: Tahiti

jonny wrote:
Could somebody explain this for me ? Tahiti is a member of FIFA but only a part of French Polynesia . Tahiti got about 70 % of the population of whole French Polynesia . Players from the other islands cant play on Tahiti NT ?

Moorea island got a national team , that`s news ?

Other islands in French Polynesia can send players to the Tahiti national team. I think when they started playing as Tahiti, the other islands did not object to using the name Tahiti to represent the whole of French Polynesia. I suppose it is a bit like using Holland to mean the Netherlands - Holland is only a small part of the Netherlands, but many people still (wrongly) call it Holland, even some Dutch people.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Aug 6 07 10:06 AM

Nathan wrote:
Matchday today.

Moorea vs Tahiti

what´s about the result? It´s the first time that I hear that Moorea has a national team.

Different football is possible.
http://futdelmundo.blogspot.com

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#9 [url]

Aug 9 07 7:23 PM

On the site of the Tahiti FA they do not mention a match against Moorea in the article about the preparations for the SPG, so I presume it did not take place ....?

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Aug 19 07 5:13 AM

UN NUL POUR L'EQUIPE DE TAHITI NUI FACE AUX BARBARIANS CALEDONIENS
13 août 2007
Vendredi soir, à Pater, l'équipe de Tahiti Nui a réalisé un match nul 2-2 face à l'équipe "Barbarians" des calédoniens des championnats locaux.

La sélection a ensuite pris samedi la direction de la presqu'île à Tautira ou elle suit un stage pour terminer sa préparation avant le départ des premiers joueurs en direction de Samoa le 21 août.
Pour des raisons de difficulté de déplacement, l'équipe de Tahiti Nui organise son voyage pour Samoa en 3 groupes. Le premier part donc le 21, le deuxième le 23 et enfin le troisième (joueurs qui ne devraient pas disputer le match d'ouverture) le 25, jour du premier match contre la Nouvelle-Calédonie.

Une dernière rencontre de préparation attend les joueurs de Kautai ce mercredi 15 août à 15h00 au stade de Tautira toujours face à une opposition de "Barbarians" calédoniens.

match with New Caledonian players who live on Tahiti
??

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Jan 31 08 7:13 PM

results

some results from Tahiti against non-FIFA opponents:

august 1978: Ile des Pins -Tahiti 2-3
mai 1987: in Auckland:Queensland-Tahiti 4-0
april 1991: Papeete: Tahiti-ISLV 4-0
Ile des Pins: island dependent of New Caledonia
ISLV: Isles sous le vent (dependent of Tahit)

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Jun 19 09 5:01 AM

should Tahiti play more friendly matches ?? their ranking is too low

they hire ex-French player Lionel Charbonnier as coach,
seems they want to improve their team

and their U-20 players can help their NT

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#15 [url]

Aug 18 09 3:46 AM

The problem is, who would go to Tahiti for a friendly? The distance is too much for most teams. The same the other way - Tahiti would have to travel great distances to play friendly matches.

I think the best idea would be for Tahiti to play in a friendly tournament, where they could play 4 or 5 matches in one location (at home, or away) against different teams, which would maximise the games-per-distance travelled instead of having teams travel all that way for just 1 or 2 games against the same team.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Aug 18 09 6:47 AM

Maybe OFC is part of the problem. Why they do not organise a OFC nations cup at leats every 4 years, apart from WC qualifying.... Then they would have at least 3 tournaments every 4 years (with the SPG included).

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help