Remove this ad

Lead

Jun 29 17 10:54 PM

Tags : :

This is an old thing but an interesting idea, in 2015 the Dutch sportswear company Copa revived a few defunct Dutch clubs for one last ride, obviously the clubs as they once existed were no longer a thing but their name and identity came back for that day. I've touched on it before, but this can be a proper place to discuss the concept (and any examples of realities, especially for national/representative ones?) of what I'm affectionately calling 'zombie teams'...
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

Jun 30 17 7:50 AM

It would really be exciting to see a hypothetical tournament with some of the most famous defunct national teams: Czechoslovakia, Soviet Union, East Germany, Yugoslavia, Saarland, South Yemen etc, obviously only with the aim to commemorate the history of the various countries and national teams, and not to awake nationalistic feelings.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jun 30 17 10:43 PM

Luca wrote:
It would really be exciting to see a hypothetical tournament with some of the most famous defunct national teams: Czechoslovakia, Soviet Union, East Germany, Yugoslavia, Saarland, South Yemen etc, obviously only with the aim to commemorate the history of the various countries and national teams, and not to awake nationalistic feelings.
Yep, I'd hope the world is mature enough to see such matches as a recognition of history and chance to learn from it (in the more controversial scenarios) rather than a ball of offence to be taken or given, I personally don't have such a situation I can really relate to so I'm looking at it purely objectively.

For example, the country that the famed Hungary team of the early 1950's represented I'd consider a semi-detatched entity to the current one, and while that was a brutal dictatorship, it doesn't mean the country as a whole and its people at the time shared those views (as history shows), and it would be the latter two factors (especially the second one) that you'd hope any modern eligible Hungarians would want to honour by playing under that flag if the opportunity came up (although I suspect being the zombified successors to the Magical Magyars would be plenty of incentive in that scenario).

Meanwhile, I found evidence of the East Germany v West Germany modern match that I mentioned in the old post I linked to, unfortunately it was just a recreation of their 1990 match with teams of legends, but it's something at least... maybe they'll keep doing these reunion matches every couple of decades until the players look more like this...

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jul 2 17 7:50 AM

mattsanger92 wrote:
This is an old thing but an interesting idea, in 2015 the Dutch sportswear company Copa revived a few defunct Dutch clubs for one last ride, obviously the clubs as they once existed were no longer a thing but their name and identity came back for that day. I've touched on it before, but this can be a proper place to discuss the concept (and any examples of realities, especially for national/representative ones?) of what I'm affectionately calling 'zombie teams'...
That tournament would be played on two dates, each day in a different stadium (Haarlem and Wageningen). But because of riots at the stands at the first day and threats for more on the second day, the tournament was discontinued. See http://www.volkskrant.nl/sport/rellen-kosten-tweede-divisie-de-kop~a4063068/ (in Dutch).

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Jul 3 17 9:00 AM

Hmmm... but I was thinking... it's better to avoid the revival of teams like the Third Reich Germany or the Apartheid South Africa... There are limits!

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#8 [url]

Jul 3 17 3:54 PM

I'm not sure this is a great idea - simply because all of these places still exist, only not as independent states. If there was still some latent nationalism and harking to go back to the old country (i.e. if there was a popular secession movement in East Germany), it might be more exciting.

Most of the famous and most successful former countries were probably successful because they combined/exploited the resources of many countries (Yugoslavia, USSR, Czechoslovakia), and now they have broken up into the "proper" countries.

I guess a Hispano-Portuguese team would also be quite good, or a Dutch/Flemish combined team, or a Latin America select (these would be similar teams to a "former USSR" in my opinion, with the only exception that they didn't combine politically).

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jul 4 17 5:40 PM

Luca wrote:
Hmmm... but I was thinking... it's better to avoid the revival of teams like the Third Reich Germany or the Apartheid South Africa... There are limits!
In theory yes, and personally I of course am firmly against what those two stood for (at government level and however far those sentiments trickled down), but you get into dangerous territory with picking out the ones you don't like, leads to a lot of "what about [insert country here], they did x and were allowed to play".

Best way I can think of is to allow anyone to play but to offer hard penalties to anyone (players/fans/officials/etc.) not acting decently. Admittedly things might get difficult in the presence of a public display of a nazi flag but at least offer the opportunity to play along nicely (in a hopeful world, the participants would be in it for the 'acknowledgement of history' side of things and the peaceful intentions of the project would be a turn-off to any neo-nazis wishing to get involved) before hitting them with a decade-long suspension, thus triggering the rage of nazi zombies and the most cliche of first-person shooter setups. Zero tolerance for any new instances of anti-tolerance.

The RoonBa wrote:
If there was still some latent nationalism and harking to go back to the old country (i.e. if there was a popular secession movement in East Germany), it might be more exciting.
It's not meant to be exciting, this is essentially 'muesum football' smiley: indifferent...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Jul 4 17 7:05 PM

mattsanger92 wrote:
you get into dangerous territory with picking out the ones you don't like, leads to a lot of "what about [insert country here], they did x and were allowed to play".
Let's take care of that in advance.  Before adding defunct teams, let's expunge the current ones we don't like.

My votes to be expunged:

1. Spain.  Nobody likes them.
2. Wales.  It's not even a country.
3. All remaining teams other than Vanuatu and Costa Rica.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Jul 4 17 7:07 PM

mattsanger92 wrote:
The RoonBa wrote:
...  it might be more exciting.
It's not meant to be exciting

What?! You start a thread called "Zombie Teams" and you say it's not meant to be exciting?! smiley: laugh

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Jul 5 17 9:22 AM

The East Germany Football Association has just declared that in case of a victory each member of the squad will be awarded a green Trabant.

There are rumours that in case of an elimination in the group stage the Soviet Union squad will be punished with a three-month stay in a Siberian gulag...

While the Apaches are authorized to scalp their opponents defeated...

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Jul 5 17 6:53 PM

nfm24 wrote:
mattsanger92 wrote:
The RoonBa wrote:
...  it might be more exciting.
It's not meant to be exciting

What?! You start a thread called "Zombie Teams" and you say it's not meant to be exciting?! smiley: laugh

Well it'll naturally end up being slow-paced, so...

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Jul 5 17 8:41 PM

mattsanger92 wrote:
nfm24 wrote:

Well it'll naturally end up being slow-paced, so...

That conclusion is a bit of a no-braaaaaainer smiley: roll

I'm sure we could have a SPQR team as well, featuring Titus Bramble, any number of Julius Caesars and an actual Roman Centurion (sorry, Chanturia).

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Jul 7 17 7:35 AM

Breaking news! The Papal States will host the first edition of the Zombie Countries World Cup. There were rumours that Shakira and Ricky Martin could perform in the opening ceremony, but after a consultation with the Swiss Guards the Pope decided at the last moment to replace them with Suor Cristina and Frate Cionfoli...

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Jul 18 17 5:29 AM

regarding the Third Reich Germany... just hold it in a country where people don't go full retard over a nazi flag, like Indonesia or India... and keep official governing bodies out of it... because they always impose their fake ass "moral" ideas upon everyone. and since some of you brought up moral ideas... USA exterminated 1.5 million Koreans in 2 or 3 years in the 50s, i don't hear anyone complaining about that. so what is really the difference between German crimes and French/British/USA crimes? not a damn thing but perception and bias.

Last Edited By: abramjones Jul 18 17 5:32 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Jul 18 17 6:16 AM

the holocaust is a big difference, but USA and all the colonial empires comitted huge massacres and they still are responsible of most of the wars nowadays

but please do not compare with the crimes of the nazi's

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help