Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Dec 30 08 5:06 PM

Just not to forget it,

Vikash Dhorassoo & Fred Poulet : Substitute (France, 2007)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Feb 24 09 11:01 AM

Looking for infos about Didier Agathe I found this :

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0193854/trivia

He played in "A shot of glory". It seems that Ally McCoist appears in the film too.

I aten't dead !

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Feb 24 12 9:15 PM

EL G wrote:
For example, a few years ago, I've seen a film by John Huston called Victory (in French : A nous la victoire) starring Pelé, Bobby Moore, Oswaldo Ardiles, Paul Van Himst, Kazimierz Deyna, etc. Sylvester Stallone and Maw Von Sydow also played in this movie. 1980 or 1981 ?

This is one of the movies I prefer! Every year the Italian television telecasts it, but I always watch it. Thanks to this film, I learned to know and admire Osvaldo Ardiles.

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Mar 29 13 6:10 PM

Sorry, didn't notice this thread when I created mine smiley: embarassed, it's gone now before anyone complains.

I like Inception (dream within a dream within a dream etc. smiley: wink), plus I'm a big comedy fan so the Austin Powers series would have to be up there, along with the first Hangover, Borat, and Team America: World Police ("America, _"... won't finish it for fear of getting banned or something smiley: wink). My favourite, though, would have to be the Back to the Future trilogy, pretty much flawless (especially the first one and to an extent part II). I hadn't seen the films until late last year, and since then immediately regretted not watching them sooner smiley: glasses.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#25 [url]

Mar 30 13 2:04 AM

I can't watch things like Borat - for me they are not funny, they are cringeworthy (I feel embarrassed for the people that are in the film). The same goes for all the rest of Sacha Baron Cohen's creations (The Dictator, Ali G, Brüno). I am surprised nobody has punched him yet.

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Mar 30 13 10:26 AM

To be fair to him, the movies of Ali G and The Dictator were fully scripted, so the only people who might have been embarrassed by those characters there were his 'talk show victims' (see Ryan Seacrest getting covered in 'Kim Jong-Il ashes'). I did hear that the town of Slough officially changed their name (now something like 'Slough-on-Thames') to avoid any Ali G references, though...

As for the other two, I think they were supposed to be 'semi-scripted' (he knew where he was going with the 'story', but left the scenes with real people to chance). I think Borat mainly worked because it was 'crazy foreigner acting around 'normal Americans'', meaning plenty of shock humour, Bruno was okay but mostly felt like a repeat with a less funny character and more celebrities, so it all seemed more 'forced'. If you've seen it, though, you'll appreciate that the final scene took some guts (but could probably be classed as 'stupid' as well). Besides, everyone who was featured in those films (i.e. speaking roles) would have had to file some sort of release giving permission, wouldn't they?

Last Edited By: mattsanger92 Mar 30 13 10:29 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#27 [url]

Mar 30 13 1:44 PM

It was Staines (changed to Staines-upon-Thames).

Yes, I guess the 'victims' in the shows are just as stupid as the script writers. But people watch it, and they get money. So they keep doing it.

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Mar 30 13 9:06 PM

Oops smiley: embarassed. How the hell did I make that mistake? Guess I got confused, I know they mentioned Slough at the end of the movie, so that's probably where it came from.

Not sure about the Staines renaming, though, it's difficult to imagine one person being bigger than an entire town, let alone a fake character having so much influence...

Adding to the favourite movies topic, a sports one away from football that deserves to be mentioned is Miracle, a rare example of a decent Disney movie in my opinion smiley: wink.

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Apr 4 13 9:33 AM

mattsanger92 wrote:
Adding to the favourite movies topic, a sports one away from football that deserves to be mentioned is Miracle, a rare example of a decent Disney movie in my opinion smiley: wink.

Yes, great film! I watched it twice, a long ago, but I remember it was very exciting and moving.
A saga I'd recommend everybody is Rocky. I watched all the episodes and I liked them very much, especially Rocky IV, the unforgettable duel with Ivan Drago.
Another good movie I remember (although not related with sport) was Deep Impact, from 1998.
Then, obviously, some "legendary" movies of the Commedia all'Italiana, for example the Ragionier Fantozzi's saga...

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

May 3 13 5:07 PM

One other football movie that hasn't been mentioned here is The Damned United, based on the story of Brian Clough's stint at Leeds United. Another recent football film series worth discussion is Goal!, like most trilogies it seemed to drop in quality with each passing film (first was good, second was okay, and the third was just a huge disappointment, film schools should show that for lessons in how continuity shouldn't be done smiley: wink).

Can't comment on Escape to Victory, only seen small clips and never got round to watching it all the way through, I'll get there eventually...

PS - While my favourite film (see one of my earlier posts) is not football-related, I have realised it does have one important thing in common with the sport which I haven't seen mentioned anywhere online (maybe it'll be noticed more this year): 26 October...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#31 [url]

May 18 13 9:20 AM

I'm almost sure nobody watched this film, but in Italy "L'Allenatore nel Pallone" is an authentic cult. It's set in the 1984 Italian football league and it narrates the adventures of a crazy coach called Oronzo Canà.
This movie is so famous that, when Samuel Eto'o scored the second goal in the 2010 FIFA Club World Cup, he celebrated it mimicking Oronzo Canà...

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Sep 18 13 8:27 PM

Did get round to seeing Escape to Victory recently, overall wasn't the best movie ever made to be honest, but the football parts were up there (especially when the crowd kicks in near the end).

In other sports movies, I saw new 70's-based F1 film Rush today, another 'based on a true story' film that has turned out to be top-quality.

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Sep 19 13 1:58 AM

I must say I don't enjoy sports movies at all. Particularly fictional ones, perhaps it's because I spend most of my spare time researching factual sporting info.

Except Shaolin soccer obviously. And that bit in Dragon Lord where they play shuttlecock football.

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Oct 21 13 5:00 PM

So as this Saturday (26 October) is again the passing of an important date for both football and the Back to the Future film, a random thought popped into my head recently. I realised that there are 122 years between those two dates (The FA's inaugural meeting in 1863 and 'Marty McFly going back in time' in 1985), but considering the second event 'happened' early morning some point, it means that the 122nd year was not fully completed, so without rounding the numbers, the time difference between the two events is... 1.21 centuries smiley: indifferent. If you know the film, you'll know there's something going on here...

Obviously not the most important thing this world has to worry about, but have you ever had that feeling of 'no-one else has ever thought of this before'? smiley: grinsmiley: nerd

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Nov 6 13 5:40 PM

I'm not great at detecting sarcasm in words smiley: eyes, so I'll just say it was a random (and unusual) chain of thought that turned into an interesting 'fact'. For the record, I'm not some sort of movie anorak in case anyone is thinking that (there are many 'classic' movies I've never got round to seeing), I just remembered a date shown in one of my favourite films (an easy date to remember considering the 'connections') and ended up with a pointless sidenote. Which of course I had to share smiley: wink...

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#40 [url]

Nov 10 13 7:27 PM

It WAS the plot. Gee, thanks Neil. Way to spoil it for everyone... Sheesh.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help