Remove this ad

#41 [url]

Nov 10 13 9:10 PM

Never mind, at least there is still "Alien 6 : Resurrection of Resurrection, Director's Cut", where the cast of Alien 4 have their acting careers resurrected by an alien director and the entire film is reshot from the aliens' perspective, in order to counteract the continual discrimination against bloodthirsty aliens.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#42 [url]

Nov 10 13 9:40 PM

I'd like to see bloodhungry aliens, who solidify the blood of their victims before chewing it up in small groups over a glass of port at the fireside. Or blood-(insert suitable word here) aliens, who evaporate the blood of their victims and suck up the vapour while discussing intergalactic golf and how best to score a black hole in negative one.

Unfortunately, I couldn't think of a gaseous equivalent of "hunger" (desire for (solid) food in order to survive) and "thirst" (desire for liquid in order to survive). "Breathlessness" (desire for air in order to survive)? "Bloodbreathless" just doesn't sound right.

Last Edited By: TheRoonBa Nov 10 13 9:42 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#44 [url]

Nov 10 13 11:14 PM

Yes, that's it. Those pesky sanguinohypoxic aliens. (I had to Latinify blood, as the other suffixes are ruggedly Germanic, and pair well with the Germanic blood - bloodhypoxic sounds terrible). Is there a Germanic term for hypoxia, I wonder? :-/

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#45 [url]

Nov 10 13 11:17 PM

Hmm, it seems the Icelanders, who are champions at trying to preserve the Germanic nature of their language, have the word "súrefnisskortur", which means "oxygen shortage", rather than borrowing "hypoxia".

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#47 [url]

Nov 11 13 12:49 AM

It's bloody annoying, whatever it is!

It's a pity Google didn't have a "find and scan that" option, where you could find, scan and search any book or newspaper in the world. There are probably books/newspapers lying and getting dusty somewhere that could provide much of the information missing from international football history. I can't believe the LIFA (Leeward Islands), for example, did not keep a single record from all their tournaments. Even if it's just a handwritten pamphlet.

On a similar note - why did Google decide to stop adding newspapers to its archive? Not profitable?

Quote    Reply   

#48 [url]

Nov 11 13 1:19 AM

I am that option! You just need a browser compatible with NFM version 2.4. And you must enable cookies.

I don't think they were expecting the newspapers to be too profitable, though perhaps it began to cost to much if they weren't efficient enough at the scanning, or they didn't generate enough advertising traffic to justify the project. There is probably an official Google press release about it somewhere, if only there was some way of finding it.

It would be nice if they added more exotic titles - one newspaper from Africa would surely be better than 100s from small town USA. They may still be adding more editions to the existing title - I noticed a few extra months of the "New Straits Times" from the 1990s were now online which weren't before.

One hopes that eventually everything gets digitized, OCRed, and cross referenced into one enormous archive, but governments are too good at wasting money for this to happen efficiently or indeed soon.

As is usually the case, a single dedicated amateur is always superior to a phalanx of corporate "professionals" : http://reason.com/reasontv/2013/03/05/amateur-beats-gov-at-digitizing-newspape

Quote    Reply   

#49 [url]

Dec 9 13 8:24 PM

A couple of days ago, I watched on TV the movie Invictus, based on the 1995 Rugby World Cup. Not the most memorable film I've watched, I probably expected something more. Formidable, however, Morgan Freeman's starring as Nelson Mandela.

Quote    Reply   

#50 [url]

Jul 3 14 9:08 AM

Yesterday evening I watched on TV an interesting movie called United Passions. It's a French film about FIFA and the World Cup, with Gérard Depardieu's starring as Jules Rimet. There are some interesting reconstructions about the 1924 Olympic Football tournament and the origins of the World Cup. The movie continues with narration of the most important events in FIFA's history until 2010.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#51 [url]

Aug 11 14 6:12 PM

I saw recent 'cult classic' film Sharknado the other day and have to say I get the hype: It. Was. Terrible.

There was no way they could have made that film with a straight face, they knew full well what they were doing and they've been rewarded with two sequels. To sum up the plot: sharks. Being thrown by tornadoes. What more could you want?

Any other favourite 'so bad its good' films out there?

Quote    Reply   

#52 [url]

Aug 11 14 6:43 PM

I particularly like Hong Kong films, many of which combine extraordinary martial arts and general dexterity of the "actors" with corny jokes, terrible acting, inexplicable cameos, hilariously ill-conceived plots, and sudden segues from "Three Stooges"-esque comedy straight into a gory triad-style shootout.
What makes it even better is that the same actors are in every film, including the minor henchmen roles.

Some favourites (most of these available in full on Youtube):
Tiger on the Beat, Winners and Sinners, Carry on Pickpocket, Skinny Tiger Fatty Dragon, Dragons Forever, Wheels on Meals, Full Contact, Spooky Encounters, Millionaire's Express,
any of the Lucky Stars or Aces Go Places series.

I have become conditioned to the genre, to the extent that when I watch one which is actually genuinely good all round (recommend "Election" and sequel) I'm almost disappointed.

Quote    Reply   

#53 [url]

Aug 11 14 9:36 PM

Stereotyping a bit here, but my only experience has been "Jackie Chan movies" which seem to fit the general description well.

He fights a shark near the end of this one, I'm detecting a theme here...

Quote    Reply   

#54 [url]

Aug 11 14 11:29 PM

Yes about 1/3 of those I mentioned have Jackie Chan. The others mostly his associates, and also Chow Yun Fat.

I also forgot to mention Eastern Condors, Prodigal Son, and Magnificent Butcher

Quote    Reply   

#55 [url]

Aug 14 14 8:43 PM

I'd never heard of any of them to be honest. I know he's been in a lot in both languages, but my knowledge of Jackie Chan movies doesn't extends much beyond the 'western' ones (not just Shanghai Noon smiley: wink).

For an action hero that puts him to shame, though (even if his talents may not be as natural), meet Ajay Devgn, star of Indian film series Singham. Not seen them yet, but the clips are enough to convince me he should be second only to Chuck Norris in terms of 'epic meme' value:

Quote    Reply   

#56 [url]

Sep 6 14 6:43 PM

Not a film but a documentary series, I've been getting into ESPN's 30 for 30 series recently, each one covering a different sports story, usually American-focused and also usually really well-made. Best one I've seen so far is Catching Hell, covering two plays in baseball championships that saw the person responsible become a 'scapegoat' for the entire defeat.

Boston Red Sox's Bill Buckner, 1986:

And Chicago Cubs fan Steve Bartman, 2003:

Worth noting that at the time of these decisive plays, the teams had gone 68 and 95 years respectively without winning the World Series, so to say the fans were annoyed at their chosen targets is an understatement...

Last Edited By: mattsanger92 Sep 6 14 6:48 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#57 [url]

Sep 16 14 9:25 PM

What if I told you... that some of the above-mentioned 30 for 30s are on YouTube? Not quite Netflix HD-quality but handy for anyone interested since half of them seem to have been taken off Netflix for some reason...

Quote    Reply   

#58 [url]

Feb 10 15 6:05 PM

Recently saw the award-winning film Boyhood, a decent enough movie on its own but the main attraction is obviously the way they filmed it - gambling on keeping the core cast coming back every year for 12 years to let the main characters in the story 'grow' with the actors, all for a single film. An experiment never tried before and not likely to be tried again for a long time...

Quote    Reply   

#60 [url]

Feb 11 15 6:10 PM

It wasn't as good as the critics gushed over it, but certainly much better than some of the 'blockbusters' released in recent years. For me, a gimmick can become a key part of forming an opinion on a movie if it is there for good purpose and it is something that genuinely stands out (rather than "record-breaking number of CGI alien head explosions", or something).

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help