Remove this ad

#61 [url]

Feb 12 15 2:32 AM

I've not watched many new films recently. Partly just didn't get round to it, but also I can't really watch Eddie Redmayne films given that I lived in the same corridor as him at college.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#63 [url]

Feb 12 15 10:57 PM

Yet another glaring omission from wikipedia. I also graduated from Trinity in 2003. But I didn't go to Eton. And I wasn't one of Britain's 50th best dressed men - again a staggering omission. But I did get a first.
Anyway, I didn't know him well (as I said, I didn't go to Eton) but he was pleasant enough in passing. I spent more time at the other end of the corridor. The room opposite me was the ladies lacrosse captain (these two facts may or may not be related).

Quote    Reply   

#64 [url]

Feb 12 15 11:17 PM

Also (name drop 2) in the maths building, for a while I had the office facing Stephen Hawking's office, so "The Theory of Everything" is particularly unwatchable for me.

Quote    Reply   

#65 [url]

Feb 13 15 5:15 PM

Wouldn't that make you want to watch for some kind of sentimental "I've been in that place!" feeling? Or are you so familiar with Hawking's office door that any possible glimpse of it now sickens you?

And you're already 1-up on any name-dropping totals I could manage. I once got a smile and wave from Murray Walker when I was 8. That's about it smiley: indifferent.

Quote    Reply   

#67 [url]

Feb 16 15 10:00 AM

Sorry guys, but nothing is comparable with His Majesty Brian May singing Love Of My Life in front of me, as happened last week at Forum di Assago enaccord9.gif

ezfxux.jpg

Quote    Reply   

#69 [url]

Feb 16 15 5:36 PM

Luca wrote:
Sorry guys, but nothing is comparable with His Majesty Brian May singing Love Of My Life in front of me, as happened last week at Forum di Assago enaccord9.gif
Does being in a concert audience really count, though? I only ask because then I could count when I went to the Paralympic Games Closing Ceremony where Coldplay, Rhianna, and Jay-Z performed at the same time (not much of a music fan, so does even having all 3 at once compare to Queen?). Also, Boris Johnson smiley: happy.

Quote    Reply   

#70 [url]

Feb 16 15 7:50 PM

mattsanger92 wrote:
Coldplay, Rhianna, and Jay-Z performed at the same time (not much of a music fan, so does even having all 3 at once compare to Queen?)

Definitely not!! Even if there had been Jay Z's wife: all four put togetherĀ  icon_wink.gif

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#71 [url]

Feb 16 15 11:07 PM

TheRoonBa wrote:
I once brushed against the coat sleeve of Rory McGrath in Glasgow.

This is probably the all-time textbook underwhelming celebrity encounter.
Everything about it is perfection.

Quote    Reply   

#72 [url]

Feb 18 15 12:06 AM

nfm24 wrote:
"The Theory of Everything" is particularly unwatchable for me.
BTW, apparently Frank Leboeuf is in this, so that legitimizes my gratuitous name drops.

Quote    Reply   

#73 [url]

Mar 30 15 8:24 PM

Sort of on the topic of celebrities still, what do you do when something you really like is perfectly juxtaposed with something you really don't like?

Case in point: to celebrate the day they go to the future in Back to the Future Part II (this year is also the 30th anniversary of the original film), ITV are making a 90-minute documentary on the series to air in October, presented by 'Keith Lemon' (http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/keith-lemon-goes-back-future). I don't feel the need to point out the part I'm disappointed with smiley: tired...

Quote    Reply   

#74 [url]

Mar 30 15 9:48 PM

You hate ITV. I understand fully.

Also back on the subject of name drops, prior to Redmayne (who wasn't famous at the time), the most famous person I met was the Sultan of Brunei. I also helped the astronomer Patrick Moore walk down some stairs on the way to giving a lecture. He was wearing his monocle and everything.

Quote    Reply   

#75 [url]

Mar 31 15 5:41 PM

nfm24 wrote:
You hate ITV. I understand fully.
Only in a roundabout way, I'm glad someone is doing something over here for the film's anniversary (it should hopefully challenge a more competent channel to make something for the occasion), but the casting for the scene re-enactments can never be viewed seriously even if they play it that way, speaks volumes that TV chef Gino D'Acampo is the most logical casting choice. Sorry Luca, the only Italian fit to portray Doc Brown is on the dubs...

Use of McBusted as the band in the "Johnny B. Goode scene actually makes some sense considering what inspired McFly's band name, the only potential problem is that this is McBusted:

CBNE91EWsAApAoR.jpg

And this is Marvin Berry and the Starlighters smiley: indifferent:

51N-HNMhV3A.jpg

Do any of McBusted even know how to play a saxophone smiley: ohwell?

Quote    Reply   

#76 [url]

Mar 31 15 10:18 PM

Those pictures suggest that the 1950s was a lot cooler than now.
McBusted looks like something "The Thing" would morph into in that film with Kurt Russell.
Also it sounds like a term for getting caught stealing a hamburger (Hamburgling, if you will).

Quote    Reply   

#77 [url]

Apr 1 15 9:02 PM

You probably would get caught being so conspicuous:
latest?cb=20080826234723

I wouldn't say the 50's were 'cooler' as such, but if I had a time machine then it's somewhere I'd want to visit a while. Not quite sure what it is about the era, it seems to be as though they had all this post-war technology/development with a pre-war way of thinking. And a range of helpful videos to tell people exactly how they should be thinking:

Quote    Reply   

#79 [url]

Apr 2 15 4:41 PM

nfm24 wrote:
No wonder it took the USA 40 more years to catch up with professional football.
At the very least, if Cristiano Ronaldo had watched this video in his youth he might not have become the FIFA Ballon d'Or winner he is today. But of course it took the USA ages to catch up, they were spending all their time on playground basketballĀ smiley: eyes. Not to mention that they were using up precious minutes of sports promotional time on how to use school book priority lists...

I find these 50s documentaries fascinating mainly because of how unintentionally hilarious they have become:

A lot of the stuff in here is obviously still true today, but the actions/reactions of those horrible teens are so tame by today's standards smiley: roll. If there were no butterfly effect on this hypothetical 50's trip, you could show them a few modern video clips of our finest reality TV 'stars' and wait for their reaction...

Quote    Reply   

#80 [url]

Apr 2 15 11:52 PM

I say let the 1950s kids enjoy themselves. For all they knew they were going to be nuked any second.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help