OK - Post all related to music in here
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#1 [url]

Dec 10 06 11:56 PM

Music requests

Just wondered if anyone using this forum has a song that they really want but just can't find anywhere. I like to collect traditional music from all over the world, so I'd be interested if anyone has any.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Dec 11 06 8:40 PM

Music and travelling: the only two things I am more passionate about than football (although wherever I travel, I visit stadiums, so...). Maybe women as well Anyway...

I am a die-hard gothic fanatic. I am into goth music, and into the goth subculture. I dress in black clothing always, and also wear eyeliner. Not to 'belong to the clan' but because I am just passionate about it, it's just so beautifully dark... My favourite bands are all in the gothic and new-wave style, with a few exceptions from the metal and 'indie' and folk world.

My favourite band of all time is without any doubt Echo & The Bunnymen. The Bunnymen learnt me to look at art and music in a different way, in a deeper way. Thanks to their experimental, dreamy sound and the deeply meaningful lyrics of Ian McCulloch, my look on arts changed and I picked up writing poetry. I have the almost complete Bunnymen discography and travelled all across the UK to see the band live multiple times. Ocean Rain (by EATB) is my favourite album ever.

Other bands I am devotely into: Bauhaus, Placebo, Marilyn Manson, Heather Nova, The Smiths, Silke Bischoff (18 Summers). Lately discovered and growing fanatic into them as well: Siouxsie & The Banshees, Muse, The Damned, A Perfect Circle (especially APC). Other bands that often pass my CD player: Manic Street Preachers, Indochine, Blutengel, Sopor Aeternus & The Ensemble of Shadows.

Especially the latter deserves its own little review: Sopor Aeternus & The Emsemble of Shadows. The most intense, darkest, most unique, and most painful music I ever heard (and that says a lot for a goth!). Sopor Aeternus consists solely out of Anna-Varney Cantondea, who brings a fuse of medieval doomy march music, haunting mysterious sound samples that could come straight out of the most horrifying film, and old instruments from long forgotten times. Their music is like an inner travel through a very far past, through a dream in which you cross a dark forest full of threatening sounds that slowly surround and swamp you.

The lyrics are extremely dark, dealing with pain, depression, suicide, death, and decay. Anna-Varney has been in a state of extreme depression for most of her life and uses her music to somehow canalise the pains. However, the lyrics are so poetic and so abstract that it's like you listen to a surreal poem, a doomy poem maybe, but so surreal it almost takes away the depressed side of it because it sounds so far away from something actually happening.

The Ensemble of Shadows is not only the band that guides her, but is also a metaphor for the otherwordly voices Anna-Varney claims to hear, inspiring her while composing music. Anna-Varney never performs, claiming a human audience would never understand her pain and thus never understand her music. She says she makes the music solely for herself. Also, she rarely leaves her home and has little contact with the outside world, her fellow musicians being her sole contacts. "Sopor Aeternus" means "eternal sleap" and is a metaphor for death. The band has been named the most depressed band that ever existed by many critics, however I'd say it's the most unique music that can possibly be made. It blows you away literarly, as a journey through a far away dream in some very long forgotten past. The dreamy atmosphere and the surreal inner landscape it creates, is incredible. Definitely a band that needs to be recommended.

PS: I don't believe in spirits and ghosts and such, so that part of the Sopor Aeternus story is something I find hard to believe But otherwordly voices or just a fellow musician, I don't care, the result in the end is beyond beautiful music and then I don't really care who or what inspired Anna-Varney.

Also, definitely check A Perfect Circle, fusing metal, indie rock, and ethereal (almost Middle-Eastern sounding) sounds. The band's album "Mer de Noms" gets my trophy for best debut album of the last decade. The band is mainly the creation of Billy Howerdel and singer Maynard James Keenan, who also does the vocals for Tool. APC is less dark than Tool and less complex, however lyrically still quite complex and musically more mysterious. The band's lyrics are quite high-level, often attracting a very arty audience. Their song "Brena" is about the most romantic song I heard in my life, while songs such as "Magdalena", "The Hollow" and "3 Libras", "Passive", "Judith" are excellent songs as well.

Also, I love Arab folk music. I would highly recommend Natacha Atlas. She mixes western dance beats with mysterious Arab folk elements, creating a very multicultural music. She sings mainly in Arabic, but also has some songs in French and English. Very unique music.

Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher, aim for stars and hit the sky! (Echo & The Bunnymen, 1996 "Evergreen")

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jan 15 07 11:53 AM

Have been listening to this song over and over again (about 40x in one day):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qen3Xovtfc

Snow Patrol, a band from my adopted home country Northern Ireland. Extremely warm song, extraordinary beautiful emotional lyrics.

I will sing it one last time for you
Then we really have to go
You've been the only thing that's right in all I've done

To think I may never see those eyes
Makes it so hard not to cry

Light up, light up, as if you have a choice
Even if you cannot hear my voice
I'll be right beside you, my dear

[/i]

Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher, aim for stars and hit the sky! (Echo & The Bunnymen, 1996 "Evergreen")

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jul 25 11 7:21 PM

My favourite band is Queen. I've got the DVDs of all their most important live performances (Rock Montreal, Live At The Bowl, Rock In Rio, Live Aid '85, Live At Wembley and Live In Budapest). I discovered this band in 1992, when I was 9 years old. The Italian television sent their Live At Wembley '86 and I was "thunder-struck" by their music. Legendary!

I love also Dire Straits, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Lou Reed, Green Day, The Offspring and Supertramp. This is music!

Long live the rock'n'roll

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Jul 25 11 8:09 PM

Norwegian blog about rock & football

http://rockfotball.origo.no/

Norwegian underground band got a hit in Turkey when Turkey chose the song as their official EURO 2008 song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkL7LiN8Piw&feature=related

Great band saw them in Tromsø many years ago..

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Sep 16 11 8:38 PM

Luca wrote:
My favourite band is Queen. I've got the DVDs of all their most important live performances (Rock Montreal, Live At The Bowl, Rock In Rio, Live Aid '85, Live At Wembley and Live In Budapest)

Just bought also the DVD including the Friday evening concert of Live At Wembley 1986. It's even better than the Saturday show!!!

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Oct 31 11 10:52 PM

i am playin bass guitar...and i m listening to Ethnic and Jazz music

football of the others!!!!
http://footballminor.blogspot.com

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Feb 17 12 10:07 AM

Happy Birthday to Billie Joe Armstrong!!!

Today, the leader of Green Day and one of the most charismatic personages in the rock panorama, turns 40!!!

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Feb 28 12 10:06 AM

Today is the 70th anniversary of the birth of Brian Jones, one of the most brilliant and influential protagonists in the rock'n'roll history. He was the author of several Rolling Stones masterpieces in the 1960s.
Unfortunately, he died when he was just 27 years old, but his art keeps living in songs like Ruby Tuesday, Lady Jane, Let's Spend The Night Together, She's A Rainbow, Jumpin' Jack Flash and so on...

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Mar 2 12 10:04 AM

Happy birthday to a rock'n'roll icon,
happy birthday to a music genius,
happy birthday to Lou Reed!!!

Today, the author of masterpieces like Walk on the Wild Side, Sunday Morning and Perfect Day turns 70!!!

This is music, this is rock'n'roll

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Jul 12 12 9:10 AM

A great applause to The Rolling Stones. Today, this legendary band celebrates its 50th anniversary.
I learned to appreciate them thanks to my father's old musicassettes. He always says he wanted to name me "Mick" rather than "Luca"!!

These guys keep on ruling!

imageimageimage

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#15 [url]

Jul 12 12 8:11 PM

Luca wrote:
A great applause to The Rolling Stones. Today, this legendary band celebrates its 50th anniversary.
I learned to appreciate them thanks to my father's old musicassettes. He always says he wanted to name me "Mick" rather than "Luca"!!

These guys keep on ruling!

imageimageimage

As with most 'big bands', they had a few good songs - but there was a lot of rubbish as well...

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Jul 13 12 7:03 PM

mcruic wrote:
As with most 'big bands', they had a few good songs - but there was a lot of rubbish as well...

That's why I keep preferring Queen. I own the whole discography of this band, and the songs I don't like are just six or seven, not more.
Italy is one of their best markets in Europe, but I think it could be even bigger if radio and television transmitted their less famous tracks. Queen are not only "Bohemian Rhapsody", "We Are The Champions" or "The Show Must Go On"... There are so many less-known songs that are authentic masterpieces, but they aren't promoted enough.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Jul 19 12 6:22 PM

Noblesse oblige a special memory for Allen Collins, a great guitarist born on July 19, 1952. Today he would have celebrated his 60th birthday. Unfortunately, he passed away several years ago, but his riff in Lynyrd Skynyrd's Sweet Home Alabama still enchants the fans of old good rock'n'roll.

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Aug 27 12 7:15 PM

Chilean jazz!

Congreso - Voladita Nortina

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8JtHDrvNe4

Fulano - La Historia no me convence, solo me atraganta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXCuBcxn7bM

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Nov 24 12 10:08 AM

24/11/1991 - 24/11/2012

Freddie always in my heart

One day or another, I'm going to publish the photos of my collection dedicated to Queen. At present, I think I own more or less 60/70 items dedicated to them, what with one thing and the other (CDs, DVDs, VHs, shirts and so on...)

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Nov 24 13 10:09 AM

November 24, 2013 - 22 years without Freddie's art.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help