Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Mar 29 09 7:18 PM

true. I think Argentina had (at the last World Cup)and still have the best team in the world, if only they could improve their mind management sometimes they could win alot more. They to easily lose their cool.

A Chelmsford City Fan

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#26 [url]

Apr 2 09 4:45 PM

Bolivia played all their home matches at this altitude, only Argentina failed...they underestimated the altitude and the opponent: the only reasonable explication......

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Apr 2 09 6:47 PM

Maybe because Maradona is their coach?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#31 [url]

Apr 2 09 6:52 PM

who said they are the best team.. i saw the game and i would say that the goalkeeper, Carrizo is a shame... I could name 2 or 3 Argentinians better then him..

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#32 [url]

Apr 3 09 2:57 AM

Well, Argentina knew well in advance they were playing Bolivia on 1st April and that the game was going to be played at 3600m.
They had plenty time to take the players for high altitude training to prepare them for the game.
If Chile managed to beat Bolivia at altitude, there is no reason why Argentina shouldn't have won. I blame lack of proper preparation.

For a neutral though, it's great to see such results. I watched the 2nd half, and it could have been 7 or 8. Argentina just looked disinterested and clueless.

I think in Europe, it would be like England losing 6-1 to Belarus.

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Apr 3 09 7:25 AM

Let's check the results of the other teams in La Paz:
Bolivia - Colombia 0-0
Bolivia - Chile 0-2
Bolivia - Paraguay 4-2
Bolivia - Peru 3-0
Bolivia - Uruguay 2-2
Bogota is 2640 m above see level. A kind of acclimatization to the altitude.
Chile had plenty of time before the game. I don't know when they arrived to La Paz.
Paraguay who are undoubtedly a good team won Brazil 3 days earlier but lost in the altitude of Bolivia.
Uruguay played 3 days earlier in Argentina.

From my personal experience it's not east to arrive from sea level to 3500 m by flight. The body needs time to get used to the altitude. Argentina had a game on Saturday so they couldn't arrive to Bolivia earlier than Sunday.
In my opinion a team that has to play in the altitude deserves to get 5 or 6 days of acclimatization before the game.

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

Apr 3 09 9:14 AM

yaniv wrote:
Let's check the results of the other teams in La Paz:
Bolivia - Paraguay 4-2
Paraguay who are undoubtedly a good team won Brazil 3 days earlier but lost in the altitude of Bolivia.

Paraguay had to work very hard against Brazil, as they had Veron sent off at 48'.

Paraguay's lineup vs Brazil:
Paraguay: 1 Villar; 2 Verón, 5 J.C. Cáceres, 14 da Silva, 4 Caniza [c]; 8 Barreto,

13 Vera, 7 Santana; 18 Haedo (15 V. Cáceres 52'); 10 CabaNas (16 Torres 74'), 9 Santa Cruz

(11 Cardozo 81').

Paraguay's lineup vs Bolivia:
Paraguay: 1 Bobadilla; 6 Bonet, 5 J.C. Cáceres [c], 14 da Silva, 3 Morel;

8 Barreto, 13 Vera (7 Zeballos 46'), 15 V. Cáceres, 16 Riveros; 11 Cardozo

(9 Santa Cruz 62'), 10 CabaNas (18 Haedo 62').

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Apr 3 09 11:30 AM

nfm24 wrote:
Why don't they prepare a separate team of home-based players at altitude for 2 weeks or so before the game?

Because in Argentina there are league matches? And you have to be conscious, 3 points won't have any difference for them.. they will easily qualify

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Apr 3 09 4:42 PM

Alternatively, they could name a national team based on the players with highest fitness and stamina.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help