Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Apr 28 15 9:38 PM

Or if OFC merges with the Conference North.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#23 [url]

Apr 29 15 8:58 AM

Hehehe... true. No club has been able to win the continental title in two different confederations. Only Cruz Azul and CD Guadalajara won the Concacaf Champions League and reached the final in Copa Libertadores.
Maccabi Tel Aviv and Hapoel Tel Aviv won the continental title in Asia, but will never be able to conquer the UEFA Champions League.

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Apr 30 15 9:41 AM

Hmm... if Montreal Impact had won the Concacaf Champions League, the Argentine midfielder Ignacio Piatti would have achieved an interesting "double": winning both Copa Libertadores and Concacaf Champions League.
I've been working on such particular list. A famous Hero of Two Worlds is Christian Giménez, who won 2 Copa Libertadores with Boca Juniors and 4 Concacaf Champions Leagues (1 with América, 2 with Pachuca and 1 with Cruz Azul).

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

May 5 15 5:11 PM

Bayern Munich
Real Madrid
FC Barcelona
Juventus

A real big-name line-up to look forward to over the next couple of weeks.

Unfortunately I've been hearing a lot of "one of these things is not like the others" jokes, though, which I find completely unfair - it may be recent, but Barcelona have competed in the final for this trophy just as many times as Juventus have...

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

May 7 15 1:19 PM

> But with the help of God and the efforts of his boys they were able to emerge victorious

I always thought God had only one son.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#31 [url]

May 14 15 9:11 AM

So a final between Juventus and Barcelona will decide the UEFA place for the 2015 Club World Cup.
Juventus are the typical Italian team: very good defensive solidity and dangerous counterattacks. I don't know if this can be enough to get better of Barça though.
Real Madrid were unlucky but also disappointing. They created a lot of good chances, but they didn't look like a true team: just 11 soloists.
In 180 minutes, Crisitiano Ronaldo never beat his man. If he had played in Serie A in the 1980s or in the 1990s, against all the formidable Italian defenders of that period, he wouldn't have scored so many goals...

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

May 14 15 10:02 AM

So Juventus is, as they say, "andiamo a Berlino"? Great opportunity for Buffon and Pirlo in particular, and Real Madrid look like they got Morientes'd again...

Would've been great to see the hype that an 'El Clasico' final would have generated, but I was equally happy with a Juventus win, if only for it to silence certain pundits and members of the public that considered Juve to be complete pushovers smiley: eyes.

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

May 14 15 5:59 PM

Luca wrote:
Crisitiano Ronaldo never beat his man. If he had played in Serie A in the 1980s

He wouldn't have survived the vigourous man marking.   Would like to see Ronaldo try to go past Gentile or Souness.  The ball might go past them, but he wouldn't.

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

May 14 15 9:42 PM

nfm24 wrote:
Luca wrote:
Crisitiano Ronaldo never beat his man. If he had played in Serie A in the 1980s
The ball might go past them.
Not if if you swap Gentile/Souness with Vinnie Jones. smiley: sick

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

May 15 15 3:39 PM

Disturbing scenes in the Copa Libertadores, as the round of 16 2nd leg between Boca Juniors and River Plate was stopped after half-time when Boca fans attacked River players with pepper spray. The remaining 45 minutes of La Superclasico have been suspended, with River (the lowest-ranked team remaining) leading 1-0 on aggregate against the highest, with no-one quite sure what happens next, as all 7 other ties in this round have already been decided.

Interesting thing to happen in the CAF Champions League - in the upcoming group stage, all 3 Algerian clubs remaining will play in the same group, CAF don't care for any of that 'league protection' nonsense that UEFA like so much smiley: wink. Not sure whether Pieter will see this as a good or bad thing - on the one hand these clubs from the same league will be playing each other (6/12 games in this group will be all-Algerian), on the other... at least one is guaranteed to be eliminated.

I never really understand the importance of having a final with two clubs of different nationalities, other than not wanting to see more common matchups (Real Madrid v Atletico Madrid was played 8 times this season). When clubs were more 'local' entities I understand it better, but I can't see the 'between two countries' mindset, it seems more a thing that the media just try to promote, somehow I doubt Barcelona will have all of Spain supporting them in this final smiley: wink.

Last Edited By: mattsanger92 May 15 15 3:42 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

May 15 15 6:15 PM

mattsanger92 wrote:
Disturbing scenes in the Copa Libertadores, as the round of 16 2nd leg between Boca Juniors and River Plate was stopped after half-time when Boca fans attacked River players with pepper spray. The remaining 45 minutes of La Superclasico have been suspended, with River (the lowest-ranked team remaining) leading 1-0 on aggregate against the highest, with no-one quite sure what happens next, as all 7 other ties in this round have already been decided.

I just love the Argentine "fútbol", but I have to admit that this country is still very far from solving the hooligans problem Nono
Anyway, I feel a Club World Cup final River Plate-Juventus coming on, after 19 years...

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

May 15 15 6:30 PM

mattsanger92 wrote:
I never really understand the importance of having a final with two clubs of different nationalities

Maybe if two clubs of the same nationality reach the final, the final could be cancelled and both teams share the trophy, as they have already defeated the rest of Europe...  

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

May 15 15 11:53 PM

I am also glad the final is not Real vs Barca because now there won't be as much ridiculous star-driven build up such as "Ronaldo vs Messi" and similar crap. I'm going to start a campaign to make all players wear blank shirts and anonymous balaclavas to avoid any individuality in the marketing. I expect this campagin will be about as successful as a Casillas injury time throw in.

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

May 16 15 1:43 PM

Not fair, maybe something was wrong with his gloves smiley: laugh. Besides, that game for him should be more remembered for the fact that he equalled the UEFA Champions League all-time appearance record on 150, a record that will be taken from him much like the throw-in in approximately... 3 weeks, provided Xavi stays fit.

I think a matchup like Real Madrid v Barcelona would be deserving of a lot of its hype due to the teams and their rivalry, but I agree with you on the Ronaldo v Messi angle, no player is bigger than a club (or country, as the 2014 World Cup Qualifying Play-Off between Portugal and Sweden was insultingly billed as "Ronaldo v Zlatan" smiley: eyes, even if those two did actually manage to live up to it goals-wise) and the 'rivalry' between those two is media-driven anyway, so it would get very annoying very fast.

Maybe they could have at least expanded to include the two attacking trios... B-B-C vs. M-S-N, anyone? smiley: wink

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help