Remove this ad

#41 [url]

May 16 15 2:38 PM

Portugal vs Sweden is a bit more understandable (albeit irritating) as it wasn't a game that would naturally be top of the agenda outside those countries. But in a major final which is already top of the list, the extra singling out of key players is unnecessary.

I'm glad Barca didn't sign Fred instead of Suarez, so they haven't got N-F-M.

On Casillas, I think it just shows Mourinho wasn't wrong to drop him.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#42 [url]

May 16 15 11:47 PM

nfm24 wrote:
I'm glad Barca didn't sign Fred instead of Suarez, so they haven't got N-F-M.
smiley: roll

But seriously, however incredibly unlikely that prospect was, please don't bring it up right now, I'm having a hard enough time getting to grips with Gerrard leaving smiley: frown.

Quote    Reply   

#43 [url]

May 17 15 2:47 AM

He'll be back by October when he finds that he can't get his favourite brand of cheesy peas, nobody in the States can understand him, and Beckham refuses to act as his translator, while Liverpool struggle to integrate new big money signings Hulk and Roberto Soldado. Rodgers is sacked, Dalglish comes back again, spends £80 million on bringing back Andy Carroll and Stuart Downing to play up front with new captain Balotelli and then leaves.

Quote    Reply   

#46 [url]

May 17 15 1:21 PM

nfm24 wrote:
He'll be back by October when he finds that he can't get his favourite brand of cheesy peas, nobody in the States can understand him, and Beckham refuses to act as his translator, while Liverpool struggle to integrate new big money signings Hulk and Roberto Soldado. Rodgers is sacked, Dalglish comes back again, spends £80 million on bringing back Andy Carroll and Stuart Downing to play up front with new captain Balotelli and then leaves.

Oh dear god no, as much as I love everyone in that comment bar Hulk & Soldado (maybe just tweak that to 'respect' for Carroll & Downing). Hopefully Americans realise that accents just take some getting used to, I've come to understand Carragher and Dalglish clearly over the years without being Scouse/Scottish and theirs are much stronger.

Realistically, I think that Rodgers is doing fine, if the season ran from January-March he'd be the greatest coach of all-time. And a lot of that unbeaten run this season Gerrard was injured, which makes me think the other players used him as a safety net on the pitch when he was there, so the amount of stepping-up and growth that occurs while he's on the other side of the world should be astronomical... I hope smiley: indifferent. Plus Jordan Henderson seems to be trying his level best to metamorphasize into a Gerrard mk.2 ever since becoming vice-captain. And something something Boston Red Sox, they won a World Series recently didn't they?

And a suggestion for your N-F-M trio... what if Barcelona signed Falcao from AS Monaco? They would surely would've gotten more value for money from him than Manchester United have so far, I'm amazed whenever anyone scapegoats Balotelli but ignores that Falcao has been pretty bad all season whilst costing exactly as much... yet Falcao's price was only for a one season loan.

Last Edited By: mattsanger92 May 17 15 1:25 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#47 [url]

May 17 15 6:39 PM

Gerrard in America = Cheryl Cole. Rodgers is OK, it's not entirely his fault that Liverpool sold their best player and bought overpriced shite. The backward-looking fans typically overlook the transgressions of Dalglish and predecessors who also bought plenty of donkeys. I would be more concerned at the way that Liverpool appeared to give up on 4th place in about April when it was still achievable.

Quote    Reply   

#48 [url]

May 17 15 7:37 PM

nfm24 wrote:
predecessors who also bought plenty of donkeys.
How dare you, Antonio Nunez and Josemi are Champions League medal holders! smiley: indifferent

Didn't American TV also subtitle Ant & Dec? Maybe I do stand corrected, but you'd think a country that can be such a melting pot would be more open to a wider range of accents, a person with a southern drawl probably has the most confusing version of English in the world but they treat that as normal most of the time...

And Liverpool dropping off was disappointing, Manchester United have been there for the taking all season long, probably the worst-performing (yet one of the most expensive) teams to ever finish in the 'Sky Sports Top 4'. As for signings, I think if you at least buy English players who are overpriced, their mistakes considered more forgiveable, not 100% fair but I can understand why, boyhood fan Rickie Lambert will be treated a lot more kindly than Ricardo Lamberito at the same price.

Not saying some of Rodgers' predecessors didn't make mistakes, but it takes a lot to get fans of a club to turn against a legend, look at Alan Shearer, oversees his team's relegation and still gets to make that nostalgic Barclays advert that's currently being overplayed to death...

Quote    Reply   

#49 [url]

May 20 15 6:37 PM

Going back to something more on-topic, in news that will surprise no-one, Boca Juniors have been disqualified from the Copa Libertadores, River Plate will play the quarter-finals against Cruzeiro, who beat Sao Paulo and ended the final-season dreams of Rogerio Ceni smiley: frown, who at least managed to score a penalty in the shoot-out that eliminated his club.

Quote    Reply   

#50 [url]

May 28 15 9:48 AM

If I were Juventus, I wouldn't be too optimist about the Champions League epilogue. This season has too many similarities with the season 2005/06!!!!

OFC champions are Auckland City (in 2006 as well)
Europa League champions are Sevilla (in 2006 as well)
Concacaf champions are América (in 2006 as well)
German champions are Bayern Munich (in 2006 as well)
English champions are Chelsea (in 2006 as well)
Spanish champions are Barcelona (in 2006 as well)
Italian champions are Juventus (in 2006 as well, before Calciopoli, of course...)

Who were the 2005/06 Champions League winners...? smiley: smokin

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#51 [url]

May 28 15 10:26 AM

True, but if Juventus compare their performance with the winners of 10 years ago (everyone knows that multilples of 10 take precedence in these 'coincidence' theories smiley: wink), they will find:

• They also took 10 points from group A to qualify in 2nd, just ahead of Olympiacos and behind the previous season's losing finalist
  • Then pretty easily saw off a non-champion German club in the next round
  • Somewhere along the line they won their 'aggregate' games against AS Monaco by 1 goal
  • Took a 0-0 draw in the quarter-final second leg away from home to progress on aggregate by 1 goal
  • And in the semi-final they beat the money machine of the round by 1 goal
  • All this on the way to a final in an 'Olympic' stadium against what is considered the strongest overall team in the season's competition
Hopefully they don't do too much replication in Berlin...

Quote    Reply   

#52 [url]

May 28 15 5:55 PM

Luca wrote:
Who were the 2005/06 Champions League winners...?
These questions are too difficult for me.  Haven't you got an easier one like who was the top scorer in the Bermuda league in 1977?

Quote    Reply   

#54 [url]

Jun 7 15 7:00 PM

Luca wrote:
If I were Juventus, I wouldn't be too optimist about the Champions League epilogue. This season has too many similarities with the season 2005/06!!!!

Italian champions are Juventus (in 2006 as well, before Calciopoli, of course...)

I warned you: 2015 is the spitting image of 2006!!!! Too bad there isn't the World Cup this year smiley: ohwell

Quote    Reply   

#55 [url]

Jun 8 15 6:48 AM

Luca wrote:
Luca wrote:

I warned you: 2015 is the spitting image of 2006!!!! Too bad there isn't the World Cup this year smiley: ohwell

Dutch champions are PSV (in 2006 as well)

Quote    Reply   

#57 [url]

Jul 23 15 8:52 AM

...who are now eliminated (at least it wasn't on your original list of prophecies), by Mexican club Tigres UNAL. Since the rules of the Club World Cup don't let them qualify this way, other finalists River Plate take it by default...

Also, impressive going by River Plate in proving seeding is just a number, ranked 16th and last of all teams in the knockout round yet they're in the final 2...

Quote    Reply   

#58 [url]

Jul 23 15 9:32 AM

Interesting also the fact that, in the Concacaf Champions League, Tigres have never managed to reach the top-2, while now, in the more difficult Copa Libertadores, they are in final. Football is crazy.

As to River, not later than 3 years ago they were in Segunda División and now they're struggling for the South American crown. I beleve the record still belongs to Nottingham Forest: second level in 1976/77, European champions just two seasons later.

Quote    Reply   

#59 [url]

Aug 26 15 9:10 AM

I have to confess that I'm not unpleased to hear that River Plate won Copa Libertadores, at least for their fans. They suffered too much when the club relegated in 2011; now they deserve this satisfaction.

Quote    Reply   

#60 [url]

Aug 27 15 10:43 PM

I thought the whole league structure in Argentina was designed to avoid the relegation of a "big" club. Somehow they still achieved it. Their reward will be embarrassment by Auckland City.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help