Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

Site Admin

Lead

Nov 21 06 12:35 AM

Tags : :

Because of the number of countries in CONMEBOL (only 10), I think it may be a good idea for them to join forces with CONCACAF. It would also increase the level of play in CONCACAF and give the teams more chance to play top quality teams, and would also prevent South American teams from playing the same 9 teams, year-in year-out.

Of course, another solution would be for more teams to join CONMEBOL, such as French Guiana, Suriname, Guyana, Falkland Islands
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Nov 25 06 8:49 AM

I'd love the Falklands to affiliate, they're one of the most interesting non-FIFA nations IMHO. Anyway, that's a different story.

Merging both may make sense, however it could be problematic for smaller FAs (eg Bermuda, Bahamas, etc) to travel to Bolivia or Chile regularly. Also, it would force to completely restructure club tournaments like the Copa Libertadores.

The question is: does CONMEBOL want to merge anyway? With 4 World Cup slots and a play-off team, they're very well represented at the biggest tournament, while a merger includes the risk of South American teams losing out on the WC while USA, Mexico and Costa Rica could grab their spot. I doubt if S.America feels the need for a merger while local CONMEBOL members have approx 50% of qualifying for a World Cup now.

Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher, aim for stars and hit the sky! (Echo & The Bunnymen, 1996 "Evergreen")

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Dec 3 06 4:59 PM

well...i agree with Gerrit...it's logic SOUTH AMERICA has the most competitive qualifiers !!!!! for me i would be able to watch three games until 05.00 in the morning without sleeping cuz the quality of football is so good !!!!! but maybe merging with concacaf will add a place or two to the AMERICAS !!! let's see

SOUTH AMERICA : 5 1/2
CONCACAF: 3 1/2

MAYBE WITh merging it will be 10 or 11 places but here SOUTH AMERICA superiority will be obvious (i'm talking about football )...and "little" teams like Montserrat or Antigua will be smashed and there will be a lot of withdrews in the next coming years

plus America joins the north himisphere and the second himsphere so it will be really hard for poor federations !!!!!

i think that keeping this system will help the caraibeean teams,but if we will merge the two sub continents i think that we will crush them !!!

thank you

"....And the smarter ones beetween us, are those who find out about their social stupidity earlier...." Abd daim !!!!

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Dec 6 06 10:07 AM

Falkland Islands

The road to join CONMEBOL is forever closed for Falklands because of obstacle of Argentina which is easy to preview. To North America they have to far so the only way for them is possibly to make a bid for joining CAF (Africa) and maybe COSAFA at first. But I think they would rather stay in NF-Board.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Dec 7 06 11:19 AM

I hope Falklands join someday, it's one of my favourite Non-FIFA teams. I find the isles so interesting... Well, regardless of who applies, the CONMEBOL should keep politics and sports seperated, and Argentina is not in a position that it should be able to stop other nations to compete.

Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher, aim for stars and hit the sky! (Echo & The Bunnymen, 1996 "Evergreen")

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#5 [url]

Dec 14 06 7:05 PM

hahaha very funny !!!!
you look so silly who ever you are "guest or bamboochka !!!"...this is a football forum not a reality tv !!!!!

"....And the smarter ones beetween us, are those who find out about their social stupidity earlier...." Abd daim !!!!

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Jul 6 16 10:55 PM

Sounds like a wikipedia invention which has been absorbed and/or garbled.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help