Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#2 [url]

Oct 20 10 2:19 AM

As well as these 3 matches which we know about already from this year (2010), there were also 2 matches in 2009 - I don't have the results.

20.06.09 Sint Eustatius v Saba
21.06.09 Sint Eustatius v Saba
27.03.10 Saba 2-1 Sint Eustatius
28.03.10 Saba 1-2 Sint Eustatius (morning)
28.03.10 Saba 2-2 Sint Eustatius (afternoon)

It seems that there is not a full-sized football field on Sint Eustatius, but only a 'Cruyff Court' - I am not sure what there is on Saba....

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruyff_Court

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Oct 26 10 2:52 PM

Yes I suppose it's important to check wherever possible that these are "proper" games, e.g. 11v11 and not 7v7 or 5v5... the fact that they played three games in two days means that perhaps it was a smaller pitch or shorter time periods, or rolling subs etc.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#4 [url]

Mar 12 12 8:50 PM

http://www.surinametimes.com/smartcms/news.asp?nID=160908

24/02/2012 Paraguay (Suriname club - plays in Para Sport Bond, Eerste Klasse) v IBOS (=Sint Eustatius national team).

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Mar 13 12 11:57 PM

Sint Eustatius is a municipality, not a nation.
The team is officially refered to as Statia Soccer Team.
Regarding results, they played Sint Maarten August 30th, 2009. Not sure if this was reported anywhere. They played on a std 11v11 pitch however, they included Saba players in their team.

www.soccer-db.info

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#6 [url]

Mar 14 12 1:50 PM

Yes, this was reported in 2010:
http://roonba.20.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=254
But I couldn't find the result of the game.

Regarding the status of Sint Eustatius - they are far enough from the Netherlands to be considered separate (as are Bonaire and Saba). I would consider Guadeloupe and Martinique to be national teams, despite the fact they are technically departments of France. They function as such within CONCACAF (and Sint Eustatius and Saba would too if they had bigger populations).

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#7 [url]

Mar 15 12 11:48 AM

Regardless, since they are not members of any confederation they can play football without concern for regulations like pitch size, eligible players, official referees etc. Hence it's more like a local collection of amateur players.

www.soccer-db.info

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#8 [url]

Mar 15 12 12:49 PM

Yes, I know. That is why I have not counted any of their matches so far - they've mostly been played on Cruyff Courts, and this match was played with Saba players. If they play a match in future with only the best Statia natives (which is what they are trying to do, but didn't have enough players for the trip to Sint Maarten), then we can count the match as an official island selection match. Any island representative team would be a local collection of amateur players, regardless of whether the match was official or not, because there is no professional football on Statia.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Mar 15 12 4:01 PM

Indeed, but many teams like Curaçao are picking players from Europe. Hence in theory Statia team could be competetive but still their matches would be on par with Alderney or Sark selections..

www.soccer-db.info

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#10 [url]

Mar 15 12 6:26 PM

trekky76 wrote:
Indeed, but many teams like Curaçao are picking players from Europe. Hence in theory Statia team could be competetive but still their matches would be on par with Alderney or Sark selections..

I don't think there are many Statia players playing professionally outside of Statia. I agree that their level of play would not be very good. But I don't think it would be any worse than, say, Montserrat.

Alderney (in particular) and Sark are similar to any European national selection in that the players must qualify through residency or birth (technically, they are both dependencies of Guernsey, with separate legislation, but not part of it). Again, their level of play is not very good, but they are just as much 'national' teams as the Faroe Islands or Wales.

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Dec 21 12 9:58 PM

24-11-2012 Hotspurs FC - IBOS (International Brothers of Statia Soccer =Sint Eustatius national team)

Announced in http://www.todaysxm.com/2012/11/22/statia-team-faces-hotspurs-fc/
No result found.

Hotspurs FC is a club from Sint Maarten (not the club from Tottenham ).

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help