Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Dec 21 12 4:45 PM

I believe you got the information from the Sint Maarten FA page!? I also read that St. Eustatius and Saba play as a combined team from time to time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Dec 21 12 7:46 PM

nico1 wrote:
I believe you got the information from the Sint Maarten FA page!? I also read that St. Eustatius and Saba play as a combined team from time to time.

As far as I know they no longer have a website, but they have a Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/St-Maarten-Soccer-Association/163346907033283

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#23 [url]

Dec 22 12 2:45 PM

Sensini wrote:
nico1 wrote:

As far as I know they no longer have a website, but they have a Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/St-Maarten-Soccer-Association/163346907033283

Yes - this is where I got the info. It hasn't been updated much this year.

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Feb 19 13 2:49 PM

It's quite strange the football there isn't as developed considering the general infrastructure is far more developed than on the French side which generally seemed poorer. When I visited the island there was a lot of youth activity on the French stadium but I saw little or no football interest on the Dutch side.

www.soccer-db.info - football internationals

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Feb 19 13 11:53 PM

That is strange. Saint-Martin have played at the last 2 Caribbean Cup qualification campaigns.

When was the last time a Sint-Maarten team (senior, youth etc) took part in CONCACAF competition? Apart from the futsal appearance in 2008.

Last Edited By: SEStubbs Feb 19 13 11:56 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#28 [url]

Sep 4 13 12:49 PM

St. Maarten took part in the CONCACAF U-15 tournament in Cayman Islands recently. It seems their time away from footballing activities has been very bad for them. St. Maarten lost all 5 group games and were eliminated.

Results:
Cayman Islands 12-0 Sint Maarten
Aruba 6-0 Sint Maarten
Bahamas 8-0 Sint Maarten
US Virgin Islands 3-2 Sint Maarten
Bermuda 5-0 Sint Maarten

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Apr 26 15 11:48 AM

The Daily Herald, 23 April 2015:

Flames United won the St. Maarten Soccer Association Senior Competition. Michelle Hodge, secretary of Soccer Association presented the Flames their trophy Saturday. The association is now planning an Under 20 versus over 20 match May 8 at Raoul Illidge Sports Complex. The competition is open to all footballers with Dutch passport. The game will be used as a showcase to select a national team. Players must get permission from their club to participate. To register contact president of the Soccer Association Nickie Owen at 550-3750.
So maybe Sint Maarten is preparing for a real international match?

BTW, I couldn't find much more about Flames United or the competition, apart from futsal.
Only two results mentioned in this report:
Flames United vs Hotspurs 8-1
Strikers vs Reggae Lions 2-2
And three more in this report:
Reggae Lions vs Hotspurs 3-1
Wilful Skillful vs C & D Connection draw
Flames United vs Strikers 0-0

Last Edited By: Sensini Apr 26 15 6:41 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#30 [url]

Apr 27 15 11:59 AM

Surely it's not difficult to arrange a match against Saint Martin. Strange for a confederation member to have been absent from senior internationals for so long.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#32 [url]

Apr 27 15 5:37 PM

nfm24 wrote:
Who outside the island would bother reporting it, if the two sides played each other?
I'm not affiliated to any news source right now, but I'll volunteer for some on-site recon work if no-one else is up to it smiley: glasses. You just need to have a whip-round to get me there...

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Apr 27 15 8:15 PM

Funnily enough I have actually considered visiting one of the Leeward Islands at some point mainly for football research purposes (with, no doubt, some additional tourism on the side), but I thought maybe Jamaica would be better as they are likely to have better sources than any individual island. If you want to go as my representative you'll have to prove your suitability for the job first :-)

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Apr 27 15 8:18 PM

Alternatively, you should become a Caribbean football administrator, then you can jet around between expensive hotels with generous daily expenses, spend FA money flying your family and friends to major tournaments 1000s of miles away, and generally at as fraudulently as possible, while the local players and coaches operate on a shoestring.

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

Apr 27 15 8:30 PM

nfm24 wrote:
Perhaps they have and we don't know. Who outside the island would bother reporting it, if the two sides played each other?
I check www.thedailyherald.com and other St. Maarten news sites now and then. That is how I found the report above in the first place.

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Apr 27 15 9:35 PM

nfm24 wrote:
If you want to go as my representative you'll have to prove your suitability for the job first :-)
Combining that with your other post, I'd at the bare minimum do a better job than Jack Warner, and look at how long he was in the game.

Another point is that I'm not one of these crazed sun-seekers who thinks a good day is laying by a pool cremating themselves, I like the idea of visiting new places because of visiting new places. However, there is one interesting piece of weather I'd like to see that is unique to Sint-Maarten, completely man-made to boot:

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Apr 27 15 11:17 PM

Sensini wrote:
nfm24 wrote:
Perhaps they have and we don't know. Who outside the island would bother reporting it, if the two sides played each other?
I check www.thedailyherald.com and other St. Maarten news sites now and then. That is how I found the report above in the first place.
Obviously, but I am talking about historical matches also.   Sadly www is only of limited use.

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Apr 28 15 7:43 PM

Sensini wrote:
[...]
So maybe Sint Maarten is preparing for a real international match?
@caribbeanfooty tweeted today:
StMaarten SA pres Nickie Owen told me theyre "preparing for future tournaments. We are going to put out a national team as soon as possible"
Which tournaments (plural!) could that be? I guess the Leeward Islands Championship, but what other tournaments?

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#39 [url]

Apr 28 15 8:58 PM

An SSS tournament would be good (Sint Maarten/Sint Eustatius/Saba) - but probably unlikely. I suppose they may be thinking of entering the next Caribbean Cup.

In fact, the ever-reliable Wikipedia has Sint Maarten and US Virgin Islands down as co-hosts of the 2016 Caribbean Cup Finals...

Last Edited By: TheRoonBa Apr 28 15 9:12 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Apr 28 15 9:24 PM

Sensini wrote:
@caribbeanfooty tweeted today:
StMaarten SA pres Nickie Owen told me theyre "preparing for future tournaments."
So they are ruling out time travel I guess.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help