Remove this ad

Lead

Mar 2 08 4:41 PM

Tags : :

In 1987 San marino made her inetrnational appearance in the Games of Mediterranee in Aleppo (Syria)
16.9. Lebanon-SM 0-0
18.9 Syria-SM 3-0
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#1 [url]

Mar 2 08 7:58 PM

There is also 20.9 - Syria 6-1 Lebanon.

I just checked the Syria squad for the tournament: We can compare with the squad for the 1988 Asian Cup Finals. It seems 7 players out of the 11 played in the 1988 tournament (those marked **)

Id**, Khalil, Habib**, Hola (Tavernier), Layos**, Saad, Abousel (Abou El-Sel)**, Khouri**, Mahrouse**, Ahmed**, Dib.

1-Ahmed Eid, 17-Samer Darwish, 4 19-Joseph Layous, 3-Ammar Habib, 8-Abdul Kader Kerdeghly, 14-Mohammad Jakalan, 15-Georges Khoury, 7-Walid Abou El-Sel Kessail, 16-Munaf Ramadhan, 10-Faisal Ahmad.

So, I think we can definitely count the Syria v San Marino match as a full international. I am not so sure about Lebanon - I can't find any information on any of their players - but if Syria sent their full team, then I'd be surprised if Lebanon didn't do the same. Lebanon's national team seemed to be having some uncharacteristically poor results (7-0 and 8-0 defeats to Qatar, and two 6-0 defeats to Iraq in the 1986 World Cup Qualifiers), so perhaps this explains their poor performance at the Mediterranean Games.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Feb 28 09 10:38 PM

I am a English man, but have watched San Marino on TV 4 or 5 times.

I remember them almost embarrasing Rep. Ireland losing only 2-1 at the death. I find it strange that sometimes you see them and they cant get out of their own half and lose 13-0, or just 2-0 but sometimes they do offer a bit more of a fight.
I really hope they can battle on and get a point in Quialifying, despite it being almost impossible.

A Chelmsford City Fan

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Mar 1 09 9:01 AM

In 1986 Lebanon was in the middle of civil war and they retired from WC after this embarrassing results because it was very hard for them to get a team together and at that time they could not play any matches at home..

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Mar 21 12 3:00 PM

Several sources adfirm that the first official match for San Marino was the following:

28/03/1986 Serravalle (Olympic Stadium)

San Marino - Canada Olympic 0 - 1

Goalscorer: Dante Maiani (own-goal)

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Mar 21 12 4:38 PM

Luca wrote:
Several sources adfirm that the first official match for San Marino was the following:

Not completely true.
The first (but not official) match was:
12.03.1986 Serravalle San Marino - Odense BK 1-1
Scorer for S.Marino: Fabio Gasperoni.
Odense BK is a Danish Club Team.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Mar 22 12 8:56 PM

Luca wrote:

Canadian sources and newspaper reports give the goal to James Grimes. Also San Marino made 7 subs, if that is considered important...

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Mar 22 12 10:12 PM

nfm24 wrote:
Luca wrote:

Canadian sources and newspaper reports give the goal to James Grimes. Also San Marino made 7 subs, if that is considered important...

Book "Il Calcio Sammarinese" , author Marco Zunino, edition of San Marino FA, reports an own-goal in the last minutes. 7 subs confirmed.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Mar 23 12 10:52 AM

L'Unità from the day 29/03/1986

http://archiviostorico.unita.it/cgi-bin/highlightPdf.cgi?t=ebook&file=/archivio/uni_1986_03/19860329_0017.pdf&query=marino%20canada

reports also the exact minute of the goal: 78'.

Just a curious note: the Sammarinese player Dante Maiani was 39 years old when he played this friendly. He is probably one of the oldest debutants ever!

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Mar 23 12 11:46 AM

Luca wrote:
28/03/1986 San Marino - Canada Olympic 0 - 1

During the same tour, Canada XI played 2 Matches in Italy, as follows:
22.03.1986 Terni Italy Am. - Canada XI 1-2
25.03.1986 Gorizia Italy Am. - Canada XI 1-1

Italy Am. was the "Italian Amateur League" (Lega Italiana Dilettanti) Sel.

Canada XI should be labelled as "Youth" and not "Olympic", because during the next '88 OG, Canadian FA was allowed to field a full NT.
In addition, the Canada XI coach was Bob Bearpark, who had just trained Canada Youth Team during the U.20 World Championship in USSR(1985).
At that time, the NT coach was Tony Waiters, who was replaced by his assistant (Bob Bearpark), after the bad results of the Team during the '86 WC in Mexico.

Some components of Canada XI squad, during the Italian Tour, were:
Dolan, Gilfillan, Panhuysen, Ragan, Di Pasquale, Samuel, Ianiero, Lowery,
Bumbury, Grimes, Donasettis, Cubellis, Mobilio, Hooper.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Mar 23 12 12:13 PM

Luca wrote:
L'Unità from the day 29/03/1986
http://archiviostorico.unita.it/cgi-bin/highlightPdf.cgi?t=ebook&file=/archivio/uni_1986_03/19860329_0017.pdf&query=marino%20canada
reports also the exact minute of the goal: 78'.

So L'Unita, and the Canadian sources agree on Grimes. Only one Canadian newspaper mentioned the time of the goal, it said 71'.
According to the San Marino lineup, Dante Maiani was substituted out at 70'.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Mar 23 12 12:29 PM

This Canada team also played vs Switzerland's Olympic team on 1st April, losing 1-0. I have the Canadian lineups for all the four games on tour, if anybody wants them. I don't have the Italy amateurs lineups though (in those games neither team was an A national team so I didn't look).

Notes from an article in the Toronto Globe and Mail, Friday 14th March 1986:
Bob Bearpark will be coach for the tour to Italy, because Tony Waiters is preparing the World Cup training camp for April. The squad leaves for Italy on Tuesday (18th). Players from MISL (Major Indoor Soccer League) are unavailable (13 of them), only 4 regular players on trip (Dolan, Ragan, Paul James, Samuel). Much of the rest of the squad is from youth teams. Bruce Wilson is taking time off to be with family, while Pakos and Garraway have work commitments. Ragan will be captain.
The squad will play twice vs the Italy Amateur national team, once vs Italian army, and once vs La Chaux de Fonds (Canada's Ian Bridge plays for them).

In subsequent reports, the team was referred to as "Canada B" in Canadian sources. There were many young players but it was not purely a youth team. E.g. Randy Ragan was 26, Jamie Lowery 25. So I think B team is the most correct description.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Mar 23 12 3:55 PM

Italy Amateur line-ups.

a. In Terni:
Biato, Polizzotto (74'Pedrinolla), Perlina, Valà (30'Petroni), Caramelli, Seeber, Zinanni (70'Zenari), Aversano (60'Bertolutti), Tolio (60'Cesarini),Varriale, Magnifico.

b. In Gorizia:
Valenzano, Pedrinolla, Perlina, Bertolutti (70'Aversano), Caselli, Seeber, Caramelli, Cesarini (65'Magnifico),Tollio (46'Petroni), Varriale, Zenari (50'Zinanni).

All of them from minor (amateur) Team Clubs.

Coach: Romolo Alzani.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Mar 23 12 8:24 PM

The most famous Sammarinese footballer ever was Massimo Bonini (European and World champion for Juventus in 1985). He couldn't take part in the match against Canada because Juventus didn't allow him to play, so he limited himself starting the kick-off...

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Mar 23 12 9:14 PM

Giampaolo wrote:
Varriale, Magnifico.

There really was a player called Magnifico ?

Luca wrote:
The most famous Sammarinese footballer ever was Massimo Bonini (European and World champion for Juventus in 1985). He couldn't take part in the match against Canada because Juventus didn't allow him to play, so he limited himself starting the kick-off...

I did wonder why he wasn't in the team. So he was the "guest of honour".

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Mar 23 12 9:35 PM

nfm24 wrote:
Giampaolo wrote:
Varriale, Magnifico.

There really was a player called Magnifico ?

Yes! Even Freddie Mercury acclaimed him in Bohemian Rhapsody "Magnificooo"

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Mar 18 13 7:40 PM

I saw on The Roon Ba fixture list that a friendly against Italy is planned for the coming months? Apparently (and surprisingly) they have only met each other once at senior level...

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Mar 18 13 7:46 PM

yes, that was in 1992 and there was some reason for. One of the Italian players was sususpended for one friendly international and Italy's next one would be against Germany. In order to play with a complete team against the Germans they arranged another match before they played against the Germans and so Italy played against San Marino.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#18 [url]

Mar 19 13 2:36 AM

Not too surprising that Italy haven't played more often against San Marino. The difference in quality makes the match pointless (unless it's to give the team scoring practice/confidence, which is probably why they arranged this recent one) and San Marino only joined FIFA in 1988.

Spain have also played Andorra only once. Mongolia played China only once as well, and that was in 1960. The Soviet Union didn't arrange many games v Afghanistan either as far as I know.

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Oct 18 13 7:21 PM

Any idea on who the replacement might be? I got a beta copy of Football Manager 2014 yesterday, so I could apply on the promise that I practice with the national team for a few weeks first smiley: wink...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help