Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Apr 15 10 8:26 PM

So can you tell me if this is correct:
there will be no more Netherlands Antilles team
Curacao will have its own national team, replacing the Antilles within FIFA and CONCACAF
Sint Maarten will have its own team, continuing as before
Bonaire, Saba, and Statia will not havel "national" teams as they will now be simply pieces the of Netherlands. I.e. the team of Bonaire would not be a national team, but a regional Dutch team. Though perhaps they can operate like Guadeloupe does.

I'm not sure I understand how autonomous (if at all) Bonaire, Saba, and Statia will be.

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Apr 15 10 8:38 PM

Curaçao will replace Netherlands Antilles within FIFA and ConCaCaf. Please take notice Curaçao is related to Netherlands Antilles as i.e. Czechia to Czechoslovakia. Sint-Maarten will have its own team. Bonaire, Saba and Sint-Eustatius will be integrated parts of the Netherlands as Dutch municipalities from 10-10-2010 on. No autonomy for these three islands.

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Sep 22 10 11:28 AM

http://www.concacaf.com/page/Under20s/NewsDetail/0,,12813~2161253,00.html

FIRST ROUND
Group A
At Kralendijk, Bonaire !!
Sunday, November 7 !!
Cuba vs. St. Kitts & Nevis
Netherlands Antilles vs. British Virgin Islands
Tuesday, November 9 !!
British Virgin Islands vs. Cuba
Netherlands Antilles vs. St. Kitts & Nevis
Thursday, November 11 !!
St. Kitts & Nevis vs. British Virgin Islands
Netherlands Antilles vs. Cuba

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/results/

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#27 [url]

Sep 22 10 6:48 PM

Tanaka wrote:
http://www.concacaf.com/page/Under20s/NewsDetail/0,,12813~2161253,00.html

FIRST ROUND
Group A
At Kralendijk, Bonaire !!
Sunday, November 7 !!
Cuba vs. St. Kitts & Nevis
Netherlands Antilles vs. British Virgin Islands
Tuesday, November 9 !!
British Virgin Islands vs. Cuba
Netherlands Antilles vs. St. Kitts & Nevis
Thursday, November 11 !!
St. Kitts & Nevis vs. British Virgin Islands
Netherlands Antilles vs. Cuba

So, it seems Bonaire will still be part of Netherlands Antilles teams.

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Oct 9 10 7:48 AM

mcruic wrote:
So, it seems Bonaire will still be part of Netherlands Antilles teams.

I think they will be for a while.

-> After its dissolution on 25 December 1991 former USSR kept playing - as CIS - for another half year until their Euro 1992 campaign was over. After the 1992 Europoean Championships Russia took over the place of former USSR.
-> Former Czechoslovakia ceased to exist on 1 January 1993, but kept playing - as RCS - for another year until their 1994 World Cup campaign was over. After Czechoslovakia was eliminated Czechia took over its place.
-> Serbia and Monenegro ceased to exist as a country some days before the beginning of the 2006 Worldchamionships as Montenegro became independent. Yet the Serbia and Montenegro team kept playing until their 2006 World Cup campaign was over. After the 2006 World Cup Serbia took over the place of Serbia and Montenegro.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#29 [url]

Oct 12 10 1:51 AM

http://news.laprensacur.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=18030:na-suernam-dia-13-di-oktober-proksimo-selekshon-di-futbol-ta-kla-pa-bataya-den-digicel-caribbean-cup&catid=33:deporte&Itemid=54

La Prensa talks of the Curaçao national team playing the Digicel qualifiers in Suriname (ekipo nashonal di Kòrsou). I mention this as normally, this paper talks about the "Selekshon di Antia" (Netherlands Antilles team).

As Curaçao beat Bonaire 4-0 in February for the right to represent Netherlands Antilles, technically it is a Curaçao-only selection.

The naming of the team in this newspaper is interesting... (compared to "Netherlands Antilles" at the official Digicel site (though in earlier news releases, Curaçao was used here too).

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#30 [url]

Oct 14 10 12:24 AM

http://natiosuriname.blogspot.com/2010/10/antillen-wij-zijn-hier-om-ons-te.html

3 players in the Netherlands Antilles team are from Bonaire.

"Although the Netherlands Antilles since Sunday no longer exist, there are still three players from Bonaire in the group. "We participate under the flag of the Netherlands Antilles, so they belong there too.""

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#31 [url]

Oct 18 10 1:03 PM

So if I understand the thigs will be as follw:

- Saba, Bonaire and S.Eustatiuos, for example being in a status similar to Guadaloupe, may became three different new CONCACAF memebers, not FIFA members.
- Curacao will replace Netherlands Anthilles in FIFA and CONCACAF.
- Sint Maartin, already a CONCACAF member, could became a FIFA member.

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Oct 18 10 4:14 PM

Stanza13 wrote:
So if I understand the thigs will be as follw:
- Saba, Bonaire and S.Eustatiuos, for example being in a status similar to Guadaloupe, may became three different new CONCACAF memebers, not FIFA members.
- Curacao will replace Netherlands Anthilles in FIFA and CONCACAF.
- Sint Maartin, already a CONCACAF member, could became a FIFA member.

- Saba, Bonaire and S.Eustatiuos, for example being in a status similar to Guadaloupe, may became three different new CONCACAF memebers, not FIFA members. range">No, these islands are Dutch municipalties and don't have the same status as Guadeloupe: a country within a country.
- Curacao will replace Netherlands Anthilles in FIFA and CONCACAF. range">Yes.
- Sint-Maarten, already a CONCACAF member, could became a FIFA member. range">This depends on FIFAs regulations. Sint-Maarten has the same status as i.e. Faroe Islands, so it would be fair they gain FIFA membership if they apply. But FIFA and fair are not synonimes.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#33 [url]

Oct 18 10 8:51 PM

Technically, Guadeloupe is an integral part of France, as is Martinique, French Guiana and Réunion. They are all parts of the EU. They do not even have the status of dependencies. So, in a way, Bonaire, Saba and Sint Eustatius will have the same status as Guadeloupe (with a different system of government) - voting in Dutch elections (just as Guadeloupeans vote in French elections)

Sint Maarten would not be allowed to join under FIFA's new rules, as they would not be an independent country nor a member of the UN.

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Oct 19 10 2:05 AM

mcruic wrote:
Technically, Guadeloupe is an integral part of France, as is Martinique, French Guiana and Réunion. They are all parts of the EU. They do not even have the status of dependencies. So, in a way, Bonaire, Saba and Sint Eustatius will have the same status as Guadeloupe (with a different system of government) - voting in Dutch elections (just as Guadeloupeans vote in French elections)

I agree

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

Oct 19 10 5:51 AM

FIFA’s current rules state, as an exception to the independent county rule, that:
“An Association in a region which has not yet gained independence may, with the authorisation of the Association in the country on which it is dependent, also apply for admission to FIFA.”

I take that to mean that any of the parts of what were the Netherlands Antilles can apply for FIFA membership as long as they have permission from the KNVB.

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Oct 19 10 11:40 AM

MTC wrote:
FIFA’s current rules state, as an exception to the independent county rule, that:
“An Association in a region which has not yet gained independence may, with the authorisation of the Association in the country on which it is dependent, also apply for admission to FIFA.”

I take that to mean that any of parts of what were the Netherlands Antilles can apply for FIFA membership as long as they have permission from the KNVB.

This is how I also read the current rules, however we have been here before (Gibraltar & Greenland) and they are both still fighting to get in. Kosovo is also the same, so I don't hold out nuch hope for membership anytime soon.

But we will see.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#37 [url]

Oct 19 10 11:55 AM

Moses wrote:
MTC wrote:

I take that to mean that any of parts of what were the Netherlands Antilles can apply for FIFA membership as long as they have permission from the KNVB.

This is how I also read the current rules, however we have been here before (Gibraltar & Greenland) and they are both still fighting to get in. Kosovo is also the same, so I don't hold out nuch hope for membership anytime soon.

But we will see.

Kosovo is not the same situation at all. Gibraltar and Greenland are governed by the UK (England) and Denmark respectively, while Kosovo is half-recognised as independent. Serbia would not give Kosovo permission to join, but Denmark and England would probably have no problem with Greenland and Gibraltar joining.

FIFA seem to be in confusion over their own independent country rule, and seem to be applying the rule that they must be UN members before being considered. I believe this is the line UEFA are taking also.

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Oct 20 10 1:19 AM

In reality, all members must approve a membership.
We know that the obstacle of Gibraltar was Spain. Kosovo status is well known too.

Saba is an island of 1500 people. Sint Eustatius only about the double, while Guadeloupe population is 400000.
I seriously can't see why they would be included in FIFA. Is there even a single club on these islands?

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

Oct 20 10 11:35 PM

mcruic wrote:
Moses wrote:
MTC wrote:

But we will see.

Kosovo is not the same situation at all. Gibraltar and Greenland are governed by the UK (England) and Denmark respectively, while Kosovo is half-recognised as independent. Serbia would not give Kosovo permission to join, but Denmark and England would probably have no problem with Greenland and Gibraltar joining.

FIFA seem to be in confusion over their own independent country rule, and seem to be applying the rule that they must be UN members before being considered. I believe this is the line UEFA are taking also.

Gibraltar is a British (UK) Overseas Territory, not English.

The FA (England) could give permission for Gibraltar to join FIFA, but they's also have to get the permission of the SFA (Scotland), IFA (Northern Ireland) and FAW (Wales).

UK doesn't = England.

Back to the point, I believe FIFA's stance on only UN members joining is a fair one, although of course there are many non-UN members in FIFA as they joined before this rule came in place.

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Oct 21 10 2:33 PM

In the voting for UEFA membership for Gibraltar, all British FA's voted in favour , I remember, but they did nothing to convince other FA's, as Spain did in the other direction....

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help