Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Apr 15 12 7:00 PM

I've contacted DBU again about the friendlies versus Argentina and Italy from 1966. Let's hope for a reply.

However, I think it is the same situation as above, that is to say: DBU sent its best team, but Stævnet arranged those matches, so DBU can't recognize them.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Apr 16 12 6:58 PM

DBU replied me again about those two friendlies played in 1966. They say:

"In neither case, the Danish team fielded was selected by DBU.
For the match against Argentina, it was an entire Stævnet-Alliancen selection, whereas for the match against Italy, it was a Copenhagen XI. Certainly, there were players - in both cases - who also played in our official international A-team, however, and as mentioned, DBU's Selection Committee was not involved in setting the teams in these cases."

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Jul 12 12 11:07 AM

Luca wrote:
DBU replied me again about those two friendlies played in 1966. They say:

"In neither case, the Danish team fielded was selected by DBU.
For the match against Argentina, it was an entire Stævnet-Alliancen selection, whereas for the match against Italy, it was a Copenhagen XI. Certainly, there were players - in both cases - who also played in our official international A-team, however, and as mentioned, DBU's Selection Committee was not involved in setting the teams in these cases."

The DBU answer is interesting, but there are similar cases matches have been played without involvement of their national FA. FFF, which is founded in 1919, thus was not involved in the matches France played before (1904-1914 (or early 1919?) yet FFF regard these matches as official. EPO is founded in 1926 thus not involved in Greece's match at the 1920 Olympic Games against Sweden. Another example is Ireland (Irish Free State) at the 1924 Olympic Games. Their matches were played under auspicious of the Olympic Council of Ireland instead of the FAI which already existed at the time.

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Jul 12 12 12:27 PM

Fast Midfielder wrote:

The DBU answer is interesting, but there are similar cases matches have been played without involvement of their national FA. FFF, which is founded in 1919, thus was not involved in the matches France played before (1904-1914 (or early 1919?) yet FFF regard these matches as official. EPO is founded in 1926 thus not involved in Greece's match at the 1920 Olympic Games against Sweden. Another example is Ireland (Irish Free State) at the 1924 Olympic Games. Their matches were played under auspicious of the Olympic Council of Ireland instead of the FAI which already existed at the time.

Well not really, it is a case when there was a parallel association that could field a team. There have been other cases with dissident associations.
The issue is, which association was a FIFA recognised entity at a specific time.. this association is considered a representative authority of a national team. It can also inherit records of previous associations which were affiliated to FIFA.

www.soccer-db.info

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Jul 12 12 11:03 PM

It is important if you want to classify national team matches. Whether you like it or not, FIFA is the authority for association football.

www.soccer-db.info

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#28 [url]

Jul 13 12 11:33 AM

Indeed yes. Of course any match between teams from two countries is an international match but an official full international can only happen between two FIFA associations.
If me and my buddies form a team and play some friends in Denmark; would that be an international match as well?

www.soccer-db.info

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Jul 13 12 12:09 PM

I do not agree; it is not about your buddies playing a match but two countries...Anyone agrees China was a country and they played full internationals in the sixties against teams like Mongolia, N.Vietnam, etc....none of them was a fifa member. At the present times almost every country is a FIFA member , so today the problem is different.

Quote    Reply   

#31 [url]

Jul 13 12 1:06 PM

trekky76 wrote:
It is important if you want to classify national team matches. Whether you like it or not, FIFA is the authority for association football.

Yet there have been matches played between (at the time) non FIFA members FIFA also recognizes as official A. I don’t mention the pre 1904 internationals, but i.e. some matches played by Hungary before they gained FIFA membership in 1907. The 1920 Olympic Games match Sweden – Greece is listed as official A-international match even though Greece became FIFA member in 1926.

If countries are FIFA member or not is not important. If they want to play against each other they can also do without FIFA.

pieter wrote:
I do not agree; it is not about your buddies playing a match but two countries...Anyone agrees China was a country and they played full internationals in the sixties against teams like Mongolia, N.Vietnam, etc....none of them was a fifa member. At the present times almost every country is a FIFA member , so today the problem is different.

Regarding this topic you are right by saying it is not a match between buddies but between two countries. I think nfm means the same on his post. A China – Mongolia match will be the same match no matter if they are FIFA member or not, no matter if FIFA is involved or not. Both sides will field the same team, play at the same ground with probably the same referee and linesmen under the same weather conditions.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help